300 DD Starphire

reeksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember I'm buying tank only, so I'm building my own stand and canopy. Btw, how tall is your canopy?

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Eric B and reeks reeksreef I'm gonna give 8" a try for now and see how that works.

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my bad I for got you were buying just the tank. Then I would for sure build that baby in place. My Canopy is 24" tall. The 3 openings on the front are 17"x21", and the 2 side openings are 17"x27.5". From the floor to the top of the Canopy I'm at 90.5". It's massive lol.

ethridge78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my lights 10" above the water on my 300dd and I also had too take the whole door off to get my tank in frame and all.lol

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine at 10" now, I think that's the perfect height. That's crazy about taking off the door frame. Lol How mad was the wife?

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! Does the glass top mess with the parents at all? How's the light reflection off of the lids?

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have decided that I am not going to put any full size colonies from my 125 into the new tank. I'm going to frag everything out and just add a frag of each. My kids and I decided we are going to keep a picture and data time line so we can look back and check the growth progress. So I actually started fragging last week but ran out of plugs. I was able to make about 120 frags clearing out some room to get a good look at my red monti and I noticed something weird on it. So I blew it off and discovered these green dots and green line growing in it has anyone ever seen this before?? I've seen pictures of monti that people have grafted together but never seen one grow by itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140921_184229.jpg

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is quite weird. i've never seen a monti have different colors like that unless it was grafted. Any updates on the build?

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was pretty weird as well. I have never seen a Monti growing with multiple colors either. Tank is coming along slowly, but starting to look good. I have to finish the cabinet and canopy doors, finish the trim on electronics board, & clean up some wiring on my electronics board. I had a rough couple of weeks with my lights. Multipul blue LED quit working on 3 of the fixtures. Aqua Illumination customer service was top notch A+! They replaced all 6 of my lights with the Hydra 26s as an upgrade and sent them overnight. I'll post a bunch of picts of the progress.

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take back my previous statement about not seeing a monti with multiple colors without being grafted. Back in october i was at MAMAX and one of the vendors had a green monti cap with red in it. He said that he got it out of a local aquarium that studied it and it ended up being a kind of parasite that changed the color of montis pigment is places with no ill effects. I wish remembered more about it and the vendors name. I'll try and figure out who the vendor is today and see if i can get any more info about it. I was actually thinking about 6 hydra 26s for my 300 but im nervous it wont be enough light. I think im going to go with 6 kessil A360WE. Im looking forward to seeing some pictures of the progress

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's crazy. Never thought about anything like that, but can see that happening. I don't have any experience with the Kessil at all but hear good things. I could not be happier with my 26s though. They are actually way to much light for my tank. I have tall rock work and get some shadows because of that, but more than enough light on the sand bed to grow SPS. My settings are.
Cool White 45%
Deep Blue 95%
Royal Blue 95%
Violet 85%
UV 35%
Deep Red 25%
Green 25%
I started bleaching my upper tank SPS by trying to go over these settings with Cool White and UV.

Last edited:

chriscq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good to hear. I was laughed at by a guy for even thinking about putting 6 26's over my 300. Do you have any problems with the over flows in your tank? They are only rated for 700GPH each which is less than half of what i want to run

OP
OP
D

dsbud4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was laughed at as well, but the lights speek for themselves. I Run a Speedwave 2640 DC pump on full speed and I don't have any issues with the overflows. I feel I could probably push 3000 3200 and still not have a problem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back