3d Printed Aquarium Parts Archive

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally had an idea how to show the flow on this RFG I have been tinkering away at, it is a slip design that PVC will slip in to. a different option than the loc line. I like it because it has a much wider diameter , much less flow restrictive , and doesnt pull water (or air) from the tanks body of water to create a tornado pulled from the surface. couldnt use the loc line RFG because i had to keep them 2-3" below the water surface

The problem is you demonstrated that there isn't a random flow being generated.

The claim to fame for the original RFGs is that through proper geometry it creates a randomized flow that switches directions. Your video just shows that the water is flaring out.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is you demonstrated that there isn't a random flow being generated.

The claim to fame for the original RFGs is that through proper geometry it creates a randomized flow that switches directions. Your video just shows that the water is flaring out.
I see. Yes, now here after this comment & a YouTube video, . So I think this one should be altered to be called a wide flow nozzle. I would need to get a 9 piece fan set up, but I am pretty sure it would not hit fans at different rates and times. Check out this video it is hitting different fans at different times. I need to get out my old geometry text book. I am trying to wrap my mind around how to have water exit at different rates from a fixed path. I wonder if there is variable return rate from below, like it pushes more and less water out like DC pump? That would definitely have an effect in terms of the random-ness. I have used all the RFGs (at least I think) and there aren't any moving parts inside like a spinning wheel, its just a vortex shape to split the flow. I am very interested though

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Yes, now here after this comment & a YouTube video, . So I think this one should be altered to be called a wide flow nozzle. I would need to get a 9 piece fan set up, but I am pretty sure it would not hit fans at different rates and times. Check out this video it is hitting different fans at different times. I need to get out my old geometry text book. I am trying to wrap my mind around how to have water exit at different rates from a fixed path. I wonder if there is variable return rate from below, like it pushes more and less water out like DC pump? That would definitely have an effect in terms of the random-ness. I have used all the RFGs (at least I think) and there aren't any moving parts inside like a spinning wheel, its just a vortex shape to split the flow. I am very interested though

I am no scientist but I think it comes from pulling water (or air) in from the outer ring. the pump shoots a jet out that is narrower than the spirally bit. the narrow jet creates a low pressure system, pulling water in the sides. the spirals inside direct the jet and incoming water around, causing different spots to have different pressures, moving the flow.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am no scientist but I think it comes from pulling water (or air) in from the outer ring. the pump shoots a jet out that is narrower than the spirally bit. the narrow jet creates a low pressure system, pulling water in the sides. the spirals inside direct the jet and incoming water around, causing different spots to have different pressures, moving the flow.
That's more or less what VCA says on their website, yes.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love anything with a “I’m no scientist but” so thank you for that lol. Dangit, so randomness on this design seems out of question. the whole idea on this one was to not have the openings so it wouldn’t create a vacuum. And the not loc line thing. I think the solution to my problem is to come up with another acronym. Acronyms solve anything. WFG or even nLFG …wide flow generator ….nonLinear flow generator.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love anything with a “I’m no scientist but” so thank you for that lol. Dangit, so randomness on this design seems out of question. the whole idea on this one was to not have the openings so it wouldn’t create a vacuum. And the not loc line thing. I think the solution to my problem is to come up with another acronym. Acronyms solve anything. WFG or even nLFG …wide flow generator ….nonLinear flow generator.
The vacuum (or rather multiple vacuums) is what makes the RFG random I believe. It's also a good siphon break.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The vacuum (or rather multiple vacuums) is what makes the RFG random I believe. It's also a good siphon break.
It's a Venturi effect, the water traveling from the pump through the nozzle is constricted, creates a lower static pressure. The higher pressure from the outside of the nozzle forces water into it, the fins create a spin to it and alternates the the pattern.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No loc-line is manageable @Projects with Sam made one that shields out the air though.

You could try moveable pipe with an off center output.
Animated GIF

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Venturi effect, the water traveling from the pump through the nozzle is constricted, creates a lower static pressure. The higher pressure from the outside of the nozzle forces water into it, the fins create a spin to it and alternates the the pattern.
Ah yes, the vintners effect.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No loc-line is manageable @Projects with Sam made one that shields out the air though.

You could try moveable pipe with an off center output.
Animated GIF
Chris does a good job explaining it somewhere linked off his Thingiverse:

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What printers are y’all using? I’ve been looking into a 3D printer to get into it and make cool little stuff like this but I see a lot of options and not sure what a lot of the stuff means lol. Any recommendations?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What printers are y’all using? I’ve been looking into a 3D printer to get into it and make cool little stuff like this but I see a lot of options and not sure what a lot of the stuff means lol. Any recommendations?
Ankermake m3c. But others are better for the money. Or maybe it's me...

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ender 5 S1, the ender 3 v3 isn't a bad one to start with if you catch it on sale at microcenter for 119, if you just want to try it out.

Otherwise if you got the $$ get a Bambu P1S, I haven't used one but it will be my next printer. It's a closed ecosystem, like Apple, I think that's the only downside for me. I like to tinker, but I also just want things to work, and it's a pretty reliable and impressive printer.

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ender 5 S1, the ender 3 v3 isn't a bad one to start with if you catch it on sale at microcenter for 119, if you just want to try it out.

Otherwise if you got the $$ get a Bambu P1S, I haven't used one but it will be my next printer. It's a closed ecosystem, like Apple, I think that's the only downside for me. I like to tinker, but I also just want things to work, and it's a pretty reliable and impressive printer.
When you say “closed ecosystem” do you just mean like I can’t use third party parts or you mean it’s limited to its own software? Would I still be able to print the files for stuff they have on this site?

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
When you say “closed ecosystem” do you just mean like I can’t use third party parts or you mean it’s limited to its own software? Would I still be able to print the files for stuff they have on this site?
You'll be limited to their software, parts, you could use any stl files just have to use their slicer.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bamboo isn't an open source company, they will force you to purchase from them.

Which is the reason why I personally have dismissed that company and they will not get any of my money.

I personally own prusas. They are as close to turn key ad ypu can get. The mk4 is hands down one of the best hobby grafe printers out there.

Another printer that I like that seems to be a good alternative to prusa is the sovol 6.

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s correct. Cupos
Ah yes, the vintners effect.
That’s is correct. Coppus creating the air mover and it’s also seen in the blades fans from Dyson. We use it in special effects .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back