Acans changing color

i_SPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Ive successfully kept reefs for a long time, but never had acans before this little frag. As my name suggests I‘m a stick guy through and through.
However I’ve found myself growing quite fond of this little LPS. I did some some reading, and understand acans can change color dependent upon PAR etc, but usually they go in the opposite direction I.e. they go mostly orange or red.

when I got these guys they were all solid red with blue accents. Now suddenly I’m seeing hints of green, orange, almost rainbow like coloring.

is this a positive thing for these guys ?

i plan on adding another small colony of gold pots to my tank eventually and want to make sure my lights aren’t frying them lol
IMG_0057.jpeg

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as long as they’re open and plump, they’re great. Acans can change color based on lighting and food IME. That’s why I will never buy a “fancy rainbow” one lol

OP
OP
I

i_SPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as long as they’re open and plump, they’re great. Acans can change color based on lighting and food IME. That’s why I will never buy a “fancy rainbow” one lol
dope, thanks.
lol now I’m worried the gold pots will change and aren’t worth the money.. just when I thought I liked these corals haha

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Ive successfully kept reefs for a long time, but never had acans before this little frag. As my name suggests I‘m a stick guy through and through.
However I’ve found myself growing quite fond of this little LPS. I did some some reading, and understand acans can change color dependent upon PAR etc, but usually they go in the opposite direction I.e. they go mostly orange or red.

when I got these guys they were all solid red with blue accents. Now suddenly I’m seeing hints of green, orange, almost rainbow like coloring.

is this a positive thing for these guys ?

i plan on adding another small colony of gold pots to my tank eventually and want to make sure my lights aren’t frying them lol
IMG_0057.jpeg
That guys beautiful, I wish I could have them in my reefs but they’ll likely either be fried under 400PAR or eaten…

OP
OP
I

i_SPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guys beautiful, I wish I could have them in my reefs but they’ll likely either be fried under 400PAR or eaten…
Thanks, I’ve grown fairly fond of these acans which surprises me. I liked the blue red, but pretty stoked about the rainbow coloration coming in considering I only paid $30 for this little colony. Im still debating on picking up the gold pots.

My tank is all sps otherwise. I hear you on the getting eaten or bleach scenario. I’m also an angelfish obsessed reefer too….

To be sure, I am picking up a PAR meter today and will be doing some readings over the next 24 hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back