Acro loosing tissue from the tips

ovi_vl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My acropora started loosing tissue from the tips , it looks like it was scraped by something. I have not seen any visible pests, it has been in my tank for more than 2 months, it was just starting to encrust. Parameters are quite stable 9.4dkh , 500ish calcium 1500ish mag , the only thing that happened recently was my light schedule just finished aclimation.
1000046724.jpg
1000047061.jpg
1000046743.jpg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your NO3 and PO4 values?
Also as mentioned how stable is your Alk? You say stable but how stable is it?

At a glance assuming the values are correct calcium is high, I prefer 420 and Mag is also up there I prefer 1350. Alk I prefer at 7.5-8.5 range.

How is your salinity? The elevated 3 might suggest elevated salinity.

Good luck,

OP
OP
ovi_vl

ovi_vl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing right now, those values were from memory. Here is a picture with measurements
1000047250.jpg

What are your NO3 and PO4 values?
Also as mentioned how stable is your Alk? You say stable but how stable is it?

At a glance assuming the values are correct calcium is high, I prefer 420 and Mag is also up there I prefer 1350. Alk I prefer at 7.5-8.5 range.

How is your salinity? The elevated 3 might suggest elevated salinity.

Good luck,

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah… stn always starts at the base unless it was stung or something.. it’s burnt tips from alk or possibly lighting.. his alk hasn’t swung so I’d say lighting myself.
I could be wrong, but I wasn’t aware that STN always needed to start from the base.

To me, it doesn’t look like tip burn. It looks like the tissue is necrosing. I can see the peeling shape.

To me, tip burn happens when the calcification happens quicker than the flesh can catch up. This acro doesn’t seem to have new growth.

This is just my opinion. I think diagnosing coral issues can be very tricky. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those levels, I'd have a lot more nitrate in there.

East1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those levels, I'd have a lot more nitrate in there.

This is likely the issue. Acropora will experience stress when alk is high (compared to a 7 dkh baseline) and also nitrate us low (south of about 5ppm). Elevated phosphate above .1 in conjunction causes metabolic stress and the coral begins to burn, it's metabolic so likely the increase in lighting pushed it over the edge.

I'd recommend increasing your nitrate value and lowering your alk. A sub 1dkh swing in a day is not excessive.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back