Acro pest? Small black spots on acro

Will W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a PC Rainbow that looked nearly identical to biocube14g's. I removed it from my system a couple weeks ago and did a heavy Bayer dip. I strained the contents of the dip and didn't see a single thing. Though the dip was negative, I trashed the coral rather than putting it back in the system.....it's a mystery and simply not worth the risk IMO.

After you trashed the acro did it happen to any other pieces? I have it on one echinata and I am contemplating just throwing it out.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy has been treating some corals in a QT setup for AEFW. They are no longer believed to be present due to Bayer dips. However he noticed these black spots were showing up where ever there was skeleton exposed on the acros. Anyone run across this before or have an ID?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425652955.403127.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425652972.305822.jpg

They do not appear to move. And as seen in the pic above, they are embedded in the coral skeleton. Initially I was thinking it could be algae. But in looking at other macro pics I've taken. It looks like it is in a tube.
Go buy a microscope and look at them under magnification. Maybe a new SPS pest will be named after you!

Will W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ID but as far as success, I did cut off a 1/2 inch above the receding tissue and where the black spots were and i haven't seen it again and that was almost 10 months ago.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ID but as far as success, I did cut off a 1/2 inch above the receding tissue and where the black spots were and i haven't seen it again and that was almost 10 months ago.

I know this an old thread, but I agree with @Acro76 that this pest is/was halofolliculina corallasia, a relatively rare/little known pest that is the cause of SEB, skeletal erosion band disease, not a lot is known/documented about it and control methods against it in captive systems.

OP- did you have any reoccurrence of it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back