Acrylic tank scratches

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just upgraded my tank and unfortunately, it got a few scratches while I was moving it up the stairs. I ordered the Novus kit from Bulk Reef Supply, which comes with three solutions (1, 2, and 3). However, I have a bigger, deeper scratch that needs attention. I read that I should sand it down before applying Novus on deeper scratches like this one. The information I found suggests starting with a lower grit and gradually moving to a higher grit for a better result. Some people recommend using 400 grit, while others suggest 1000 grit. I'm a bit lost and could use some guidance. Thanks, everyone, for your help. Tank is 3/4” acrylic. (Below is photo of scratch)

IMG_2187.jpeg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you start with the lowest number and work up.. the higher the grit the better chance you have of the tank looking its best (meaning what grit you end on... if you just start at 1000 you'll take a decade of sanding to get the scratch out...

OP
OP
LiLinka

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have one more question. How long would you suggest sanding with each grit before moving on to the next one? Thanks again

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
youre really trying to get rid of the main scratch with the first grit... the rest are getting rid of the scratches made with the grit before it.. all the way until you get to the liquid polish.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope that helps... it likely wont be "perfect" unless you have it professionally done,,, but you should be able to get it almost there!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back