Adding wrasse to a new system

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up a new system and i would like some advice about adding wrasse. Empty tank, is it okay to add multiple about 6? i will be ordering quarantined fish and observing them and i have 3 currently i am transferring to the tank from another.
Can i add them all at once. With a cycled tank i assume all at once is okay, noone will have territory setup to defend yet. Ideas please!
Tank will be a 150g 5x2x2

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up a new system and i would like some advice about adding wrasse. Empty tank, is it okay to add multiple about 6? i will be ordering quarantined fish and observing them and i have 3 currently i am transferring to the tank from another.
Can i add them all at once. With a cycled tank i assume all at once is okay, noone will have territory setup to defend yet. Ideas please!
Tank will be a 150g 5x2x2
I think you need to be more specific about what stresses you are adding. Also details about the tank. Cycled dry rock? How much? How was it cycled?

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to be more specific about what stresses you are adding. Also details about the tank. Cycled dry rock? How much? How was it cycled?
Cycled dry rock, it will be seeded from established LR. About 130lb in the display.
These will not be the first fish to the tank, just trying to plan out a idea on the best practice for adding multiple wrasse to a system with none in currently. I have a large acclimation box that i use for my current tank, however if i can skip adding just 1 at a time i would love it.
i have read the guides by Evolved as-well. i just don't know about adding multiple at once to a wrasse empty tank.
Current wrasse i have that will be moved to new tank once ready:
C. lubbocki “Lubbock’s Fairy”
P. mccoskeri “McCosker’s Flasher”
H. chrysus “Yellow Coris Wrasse”

Planning on adding with new tank when ready:
H. cosmetus "Adorned Wrasse"
Brunneus Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus brunneus
P. cyaneus
“Blue Flasher”

These are the long shot wrasse, these will be added 1 by 1 in the acclimation box later on 9+ months:
C. exquisitus “Exquisite Fairy”
C. isosceles “Pintail Fairy
P. filamentosus “Filamented Flasher”
H. biocellatus "Red-Lined Wrasse"
C. rubrimarginatus
“Pink Margin Fairy”

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycled dry rock, it will be seeded from established LR. About 130lb in the display.
These will not be the first fish to the tank, just trying to plan out a idea on the best practice for adding multiple wrasse to a system with none in currently. I have a large acclimation box that i use for my current tank, however if i can skip adding just 1 at a time i would love it.
i have read the guides by Evolved as-well. i just don't know about adding multiple at once to a wrasse empty tank.

P. cyaneus
“Blue Flasher”

These are the long shot wrasse, these will be added 1 by 1 in the acclimation box later on 9+ months:
C. rubrimarginatus
“Pink Margin Fairy”
@i cant think @Slocke @Crabby48 @SaltyT @Tcook may be familiar with mixing these specific wrasses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

P. cyaneus “Blue Flasher”

C. rubrimarginatus
“Pink Margin Fairy”
Be careful with the rubrimarginatus as they can be quite boisterous. Especially as the wrasses you want already are quite small and peaceful.
Another one to watch out for is the chrysus when adding the biocellatus. There may be aggression you don’t see in the box, chrysus is peaceful however once mature they can be quite boisterous. These two should be alright but just be careful and make sure to get a biocellatus that is considerably smaller than your chrysus.

Then, one thing I’d change is adding the isosceles sooner - ideally when the new tank is up and running, instead of waiting for 9 months to introduce one. If you wait too long chances are high that it won’t survive in the tank. These are one of the more delicate fairy wrasses and prefer to be added into a much quieter tank and have the tank built around them instead of the other way around.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding in groups is always the best way to go. You have some that are little more aggressive and some more peaceful. Like pintail and exquisite. I would add the least aggressive first. Also females will make adding them easier. Males don’t like to live with others in a tank but your chance improves if they transition in the tank va adding as male

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the rubrimarginatus as they can be quite boisterous. Especially as the wrasses you want already are quite small and peaceful.
Another one to watch out for is the chrysus when adding the biocellatus. There may be aggression you don’t see in the box, chrysus is peaceful however once mature they can be quite boisterous. These two should be alright but just be careful and make sure to get a biocellatus that is considerably smaller than your chrysus.

Then, one thing I’d change is adding the isosceles sooner - ideally when the new tank is up and running, instead of waiting for 9 months to introduce one. If you wait too long chances are high that it won’t survive in the tank. These are one of the more delicate fairy wrasses and prefer to be added into a much quieter tank and have the tank built around them instead of the other way around.
This is all very good info. I am unaware at the correct order to add them. So that is helpful. Most of the wrasse are not set in stones i was trying to avoid the more aggressive ones. rubrimarginatus and biocellatus may get stuck on the waiting list. Thank you for the pintail advice, i have see a few people have issues with keeping them alive. I try to fatten up all the wrasse before introducing them with others. They always come so skinnnny.
The plan was for small small small and female is possible, i want the long haul for these little guys. This is basicly a wrasse centered tank. I only have a few other fish additions in mind.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been to the wrasse lover's thread yet?

Skip to the end, there's a few too many pages to read through everything.

OP
OP
Trixter227

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been to the wrasse lover's thread yet?

Skip to the end, there's a few too many pages to read through everything.
Funny you say that i started at the beginning and am at page 50~ i also look at the recent posts. I have been immersing myself in wrasse.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that i started at the beginning and am at page 50~ i also look at the recent posts. I have been immersing myself in wrasse.
Family Guy Cockroach GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back