Advice for Big Mama saddleback in hospital...

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

So excessive sulfate would be anything beyond two treatments? I am thinking of treating her in the DT, only because I think she's ready to go back and any more days away might pair up those other two .. if they haven't already yet...

I am Glad to hear that thing are going better with Big Mama. You have some great advice for the others in regards to reacclimated big mama and treatment for the popeye. To sum it up a little more recovery time with epson salt and meds then a slow acclamation. If I may suggest putting the two new clown in a acclamation box and letting Big Moma have the run of the tank might be best for all.

I honestly can't believe that she survived all of this! It has been much harder than I anticipated and some mishaps along the way. I wonder what the percentage of success is for most hobbyists. I would think it's pretty small, especially for the newbies.
I agree that she definitely needs to have run of tank (although as a clown... she doesn't wander too far from the nemes).. and those other two might be hard to catch..so here's what I'm thinking.
I can easily divide the tank with egg crate into 2/3 everyone else and 1/3 big mama. She can re-cuperate good water while in her nemes and gaining strength. I'll put a neme on the other side of the crate for "those two". They can see and smell her presence.. ( do fish use pheromones?) It's not a permanent solution but at least I can see what they do when she's back in tank. I may have to re-home her old mate who would now be her worst enemy. Anything wrong with this plan?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excessive sulfate would be anything beyond two treatments? I am thinking of treating her in the DT, only because I think she's ready to go back and any more days away might pair up those other two .. if they haven't already yet...

I honestly can't believe that she survived all of this! It has been much harder than I anticipated and some mishaps along the way. I wonder what the percentage of success is for most hobbyists. I would think it's pretty small, especially for the newbies.
I agree that she definitely needs to have run of tank (although as a clown... she doesn't wander too far from the nemes).. and those other two might be hard to catch..so here's what I'm thinking.
I can easily divide the tank with egg crate into 2/3 everyone else and 1/3 big mama. She can re-cuperate good water while in her nemes and gaining strength. I'll put a neme on the other side of the crate for "those two". They can see and smell her presence.. ( do fish use pheromones?) It's not a permanent solution but at least I can see what they do when she's back in tank. I may have to re-home her old mate who would now be her worst enemy. Anything wrong with this plan?
That is a great idea.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not exactly sure what "excessive sulfate" counts as. That might be a randy question in the chemistry forum. I think it may raise your magnesium numbers to some extent but I haven't done much research into the effects of epsom salts in the DT. I haven't seen or heard of any problems related to it at all though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back