OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, actually :)

Dr. Rawlinson is down here in Texas right now, we're beginning some more in-depth studies of the AEFW. Currently looking at answering how long it takes for eggs to hatch and how long it takes for newly hatched larvae to die with no access to food. Also whether or not early hatching AEFW are still in the larval stage or if they all hatch as juveniles (would affect how they might be able to travel once hatched, if they just crawl as juveniles or swim as larvae). Planning other experiments as well.

Yourwrasseismine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! God speed sir! I delt with these guys last year, got rid of every sps in my packed 120 gallon tank full of years worth of growth....left the tank fallow for 8 months and am just now recovering

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting update: Preliminary study indicates that AEFW juveniles die within 24 hours of hatching with no access to food.

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across this thread. Thank you for what you are doing. I have definitely had my battle with these things. If you are still needing anything let me know, as I am willing to help. Any more updates?

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! Thank you for doing all of this. Question for you...(and I apologize if its been answered already), but are we certain that acropora tissue is the only food source for these organisms? For instance, under desperate situations are they able to feed on say coraline algae or tissues from other types of corals? If so, then eliminating all acros from our tanks may not be a 100% sure fire way to get rid of them.

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing exciting to report, mostly just background work on the aefw system. Keeping a healthy balance of predator and very sensitive prey is quite difficult longterm...Hopeful that Aug will be the beginning of the next round of in-depth experiments.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know she took a 5 gallon bucket of SPS from me to continue the research.
I had AEFW in one of my SPS frag tanks and didn't bother to start a treatment.
Most were all colonies SSC, Large Pink Lemonade, some super rare wild colonies with awesome color.
All what I did was took some small frags 0.5" of each.

Montireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the most valuable post in this forum ever.
Great job mates!

Any news?
Did you find out how long does it take for the eggs to hatch?

Montireef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found out that Microbe Lift Herbtana kills flatworms at a dosage of 2 ml per 10 gallons of water with no harm to fishes nor invertebrates. Anybody can confirm with aefw? It works with red flatworms killing them in 4/5 days, I'm going to check with aefw

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found out that Microbe Lift Herbtana kills flatworms at a dosage of 2 ml per 10 gallons of water with no harm to fishes nor invertebrates. Anybody can confirm with aefw? It works with red flatworms killing them in 4/5 days, I'm going to check with aefw

That's interesting!
I think @tektite you need a take on this.

Microbe-Lift Herbtana Disease Expellant (Reef) External Parasite Aquarium Medications

Microbe-Lift Herbtana - 4 oz. | Premium Aquatics

Btw, with mass of die-off how do you control the rapid raise in Po4? WC will be not enough IMO.

Last edited:

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does Herbtana work? It claims to improve immune system of fish, not kill pests.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back