AFR vs 2-Part vs Water Changes

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using All For Reef over the past year in my 20-gallon cube and was wondering if switching to two-part would be a better way to keep my parameters stable. Or, since the volume is so small, would frequent, smaller water changes be an option. With the AFR, I find myself dosing magnesium to keep magnesium levels from dipping below 1350 ppm. The salt I currently use Fritz RPM in the blue box.

Thanks for looking and thanks again if you offer some feedback.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a slightly smaller volume than you, 14gals and I've found that daily AFR use isn't cutting it for me. I use ESV's 2 part to boost the parameters when I notice dips and fluctuations and that happens about once or twice a week. Many have said that frequent enough water changes alone can keep parameters in check in a nano reef. What's your testing regimen like and what can you observe?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just dose some mag supplement. I use afr and I dont know if I my corals just dont use mag that much or the test kit is faulty but my mag is usually 1500+. I change about 15g of water biweekly in a 120g system I use reef crystals.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a slightly smaller volume than you, 14gals and I've found that daily AFR use isn't cutting it for me. I use ESV's 2 part to boost the parameters when I notice dips and fluctuations and that happens about once or twice a week. Many have said that frequent enough water changes alone can keep parameters in check in a nano reef. What's your testing regimen like and what can you observe?
I check salinity, alk, nitrate and phosphate weekly. I check calcium, magnesium and iodine every two weeks. Alk and calcium stay consistent but magnesium always starts to drop over time.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using All For Reef over the past year in my 20-gallon cube and was wondering if switching to two-part would be a better way to keep my parameters stable. Or, since the volume is so small, would frequent, smaller water changes be an option. With the AFR, I find myself dosing magnesium to keep magnesium levels from dipping below 1350 ppm. The salt I currently use Fritz RPM in the blue box.

Thanks for looking and thanks again if you offer some feedback.
Water changes and maybe just kalkwasser top off (the one by brightwell that also contains magnesium—think it’s kalkwasser+2)

You have a very small system, water changes are an easy solution. If your salinity is 1.024-1.025 , bump it up to 1.026.

Having a 235 g system, I do 50g water changes every week even with AFR being used. Yours is easy-peasy to do the W/Cs

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and as a SLAVE to a Reefer 900XXXL and a 750XXL I feel no sympathy for you….or your water changes

You have a very small system, water changes are an easy solution. If your salinity is 1.024-1.025 , bump it up to 1.026.

Having a 235 g system, I do 50g water changes every week even with AFR being used. Yours is easy-peasy to do the W/Cs
To put it in a nicer way LOL

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes and maybe just kalkwasser top off (the one by brightwell that also contains magnesium—think it’s kalkwasser+2)

Thanks for the info.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 100 percent water changes as much as you want. But it isn't always practical. I would find the balance between the water change and dosing. Consistency even if the consistency is being inconsistent is better than chasing numbers. Unless corals are unhappy, it'll be fine.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 100 percent water changes as much as you want. But it isn't always practical. I would find the balance between the water change and dosing. Consistency even if the consistency is being inconsistent is better than chasing numbers. Unless corals are unhappy, it'll be fine.
I’m hoping a consistent higher magnesium level will help with coral growth. My frags encrust like crazy but take forever to start actually growing in terms of the branches.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping a consistent higher magnesium level will help with coral growth. My frags encrust like crazy but take forever to start actually growing in terms of the branches.
Got nothing to do with it if you’re talking sticks.. LPs tend to like an elevated mag 1350 is a good spot but some people run it higher.. sticks like alk and calcium.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is typical of sps. Much easier to encrust and solidify their base first. I dont think mag is going to help. As long as you are over 1200 it shouldnt matter.

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got nothing to do with it if you’re talking sticks.. LPs tend to like an elevated mag 1350 is a good spot but some people run it higher.. sticks like alk and calcium.

This is typical of sps. Much easier to encrust and solidify their base first. I dont think mag is going to help. As long as you are over 1200 it shouldnt matter.
Thanks both of you for the input. My mag is consistently over 1200, usually drops as low as 1250 before I bump it back up to 1350-1400. I probably won’t change much then, other than looking at kalkwasser it my top off water.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both of you for the input. My mag is consistently over 1200, usually drops as low as 1250 before I bump it back up to 1350-1400. I probably won’t change much then, other than looking at kalkwasser it my top off water.
That will help! It keeps your ph higher… just make sure to watch your alk it will rise and it’s harder to dial in cause evap isn’t always constant

OP
OP
RichWise73

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the nitrates and phosphates? Would more water changes bottom them out?

I would stick with AFR and dose magnesium on the side. That's exactly what I do now.
Yeah. I’m dosing to keep them elevated. Nitrate is usually around 10 ppm and phosphate is around 0.05 - 0.07 ppm.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So water changes would increase to keep the trace elements in check, magnesium maybe, lowering nitrates and phosphates, increasing those doses.

If your tank looks good now I'd stick with what you're doing.

I buy the AFR powder from Petco when they have 35% off repeat delivery (it's not available right now).

Now if you're battling algae, it could be due to the amount of trace elements from AFR.
(Don't recommend an Urchin see SBB thread) :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I have dosed 2 part and kalk in the past, AFR is the easiest for me because water change intervals vary due to my kids' priorities.

KZ1234 is another option with 2 part.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back