African Flameback aggression?

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious, I've had this fish for going on about 7 years now, he's been thru a major earthquake, popped seams on a tank, etc.. etc.. Some how, he and my 2 clowns are the only fish that lived thru it all. I came home to fish on the floor after the earthquake, for probably over an hour, and somehow those 3 lived. Lol.

But he's become increasingly aggressive towards everything this iteration of my system in a 5ft 140g reef. He harrassed 1 of my Gramma until it jumped. He has been after my puple and gem tang now for a couple of weeks, just constantly harassing.. The only thing that he couldn't bully was my female clown, shes a beast of a clownfish. I finally tore everything down I had to get him out this morning. You can instantly tell how much less aggression is in the tank overall. My 2 grammas lived in harmony the last year, the other one is now out and about. My 2 wrasse are out swimming, even the blenny who is NEVER out when there is no food it happily perched on one of the MP40's.

I put the angel in the sump, is it a better idea to re-home it, or give it a some time and re-introduce it to the display at some point? I don't want to get rid of the fish, but I can't have him bullying fish to the point he was again.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t want to keep it in the sump forever then you should put it back in the DT and put the other fish in the sump so that they can continue to live unharrassed.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird, mine just started acting up also, he just killed a new pyramid butterfly.
Might be magnetic fields …you lead, Ill follow

just thought of this, maybe rearrange the aqua scape, works often, if possible (I can’t)

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back