AI Nero 3, is it worth it?

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Got a 30+ gallon tank. Red Sea 170. I was really wanting to go with a Nero 3 since I have basically all AI stuff at this point. But the reviews on BRS are kinda scaring me. Does anyone have any good experiences or love there’s? I was kinda set on it because it’s slim and sleak. I do like gyre style pumps but I think one might be a bit much for my tank. Mainly going with lps and softies. If a Nero is really bad what are my alternatives that are not 2-3x the cost and can be controllable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello! Got a 30+ gallon tank. Red Sea 170. I was really wanting to go with a Nero 3 since I have basically all AI stuff at this point. But the reviews on BRS are kinda scaring me. Does anyone have any good experiences or love there’s? I was kinda set on it because it’s slim and sleak. I do like gyre style pumps but I think one might be a bit much for my tank. Mainly going with lps and softies. If a Nero is really bad what are my alternatives that are not 2-3x the cost and can be controllable.
I have a N3 and an N5 and both have been good to me

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the reviews on BRS? With them failing?that was back in 2020-2021.they have since resolved that issue. I have had the same 5 (2 bought from that period and 3 in the past year) and have no issues.

I have a 7.5 gallon nano that I have one In that goes from random set to 20% and then wave mode at 25-30 percent. In that tank I have mushrooms, a hammer, 2 nems, hydrophone, 3 different kinds on anacropora, digitata, gsp, and an acro. Everything is doing great.

I have a 30 gallon tank that has 4 on it. Set to random on everything for now. No coral just fish right now. I have them at 50%

If worried about being over powered you will be fine. Worried about reliability, you will be fine. They are great pumps, very versatile, would be great for lps and softies.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't go for the nero. I was also considering it. My LFS told me they are crap, and some of their client's tanks they work on the neros were often sent back (under warrant often) for failures. As someone mentioned above, the reviews are mixed and concerning. Also, I don't think you can turn the nero 3 completely off, which sucks for feeding (not a deal-breaker).

I would recommend a Jebao SLW (I use a SLW-10), which is identical to the nero 3. It functions the same imo and has a feeding mode that turns the powerhead off completely and allows me to feed my fish/do water changes without the powerhead gurgling. It is also 1/2 the price, if not 1/3 of a nero. You can get two of these for the price of one nero.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't think you can turn the nero 3 completely off
You can definitely turn it completely off. In the myAI app there is a “Pumps Off” button and in Mobius there is an “All Off” button. They also both have feed modes that can be programmed for a percent speed or all the way off.

I have had a Nero5 on my 40 cube for over 3 years with no issue.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used and still use 2 Nero 3s. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with them when they work, they’re fantastic. But they do break down a fair amount of the time after about 6 months to a year. My plan is to replace them with MPs down the road.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try one of the hygger minis.
$70, controllable, ui sucks. I've had mine for a year no issues.

Can't figure out how to add a link, just search amazon.

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared the gyre that AI makes to the Nero? The smaller one might work if you prefer gyres.
Is this not just a Maxspect Jump? Just like the Icecap is basically identical to the Maxspect, this looks identical to the IceCap/Maxspect Jump. Looks like there's the benefit of being able to program it with myAI, though.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this not just a Maxspect Jump? Just like the Icecap is basically identical to the Maxspect, this looks identical to the IceCap/Maxspect Jump. Looks like there's the benefit of being able to program it with myAI, though.
I think it is basically the same. The main difference I’m aware of is myAI, Mobius, and MXM compatibility. Not sure if build quality is the same.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviews of many good products are bad at BRS. I don't know why specifically, but BRS seems to be a magnet for really idiotic and noobish reviews from very foolish people, so I would look other places for reviews.

That said, with the Jebao/jecod offerings I don't see the point in spending on a nero personally, unless you really want to use the AI app.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely turn it completely off. In the myAI app there is a “Pumps Off” button and in Mobius there is an “All Off” button. They also both have feed modes that can be programmed for a percent speed or all the way off.

I have had a Nero5 on my 40 cube for over 3 years with no issue.
That’s good to hear. I’m glad that AI most likely addressed the previous issues and also most likely updated the app to allow yo turn the pump off. Or… I could’ve been misinformed about it.

But still, it comes down to personal choice and how much you’re willing to spend!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always do your own research, don't ever take product advice from a retail store. They get commission for their products sold. If a retailer steers you toward a certain product, its often because they have more benefit to sell you that brand compared to other brand.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had my nero 5 for a few months. Over all I like it the AI app makes it really easy to control. Its way overpowered for my tank so max setting is only 30%. Its very quiet. I needed the 5 because the glass is 1/2" thick. I also have a jebao nock off in the really small range on another tank (10 something or other) its loud, and the controller is terrible wont stay programed it keeps reverting to random. I like jebao products I have 5 of their return pumps running right now and they have really been pretty maintenance free, some running for more then 5 years.

jay1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 3 are good pumps using two in a Red sea max s 500 for supplemental flow,been running 4 months no issues very easy to use and program.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero pumps are definitely good little pumps. Small form factor that do not protrude far off the glass, with good flow for the size. I have one Nero 3 and two Nero 5 for supplemental flow.

My drawbacks are they can be noisy above 75%, get gummed up with coraline rather quickly with the fish guard, and the turquoise impeller is an eye sore especially if you mount the pump on the back glass.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back