Aiptasia

slonkeydonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an interesting thought: Aiptasia Tank.
So what would happen if I made a tank just for Aiptasia? Completely separate from any other tanks to the point that I’d probably not even use the same equipment for water changes. Probably a really small tank just for Aiptasia, maybe a clown fish. Do any of y’all think an Aiptasia would be strong enough to kill a clownfish? It would be no corals I just want to see how the Aiptasia behaves, do you think it would be okay with fish in there?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't plan on fish if you want to have the tank overrun with Aiptasia. They can definitely sting fish -that's probably the biggest reason that having them spread throughout a tank is bad. Will the fish die? Who knows, but would you like it if you got ant bites every time you turned around? (Sorry, couldn't think of a good terrestrial metaphor comparable to nematocyst stings)

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an interesting thought: Aiptasia Tank.
So what would happen if I made a tank just for Aiptasia? Completely separate from any other tanks to the point that I’d probably not even use the same equipment for water changes. Probably a really small tank just for Aiptasia, maybe a clown fish. Do any of y’all think an Aiptasia would be strong enough to kill a clownfish? It would be no corals I just want to see how the Aiptasia behaves, do you think it would be okay with fish in there?
The only good aptasia is a dead aptasia. I have a lot of them and they are ugly. If you want just get a bubble tip eventually they will take over the whole tank but at least be pretty.

OP
OP
S

slonkeydonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't plan on fish if you want to have the tank overrun with Aiptasia. They can definitely sting fish -that's probably the biggest reason that having them spread throughout a tank is bad. Will the fish die? Who knows, but would you like it if you got ant bites every time you turned around? (Sorry, couldn't think of a good terrestrial metaphor comparable to nematocyst stings)
It wouldn’t be the same sting as a regular nem?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol that’s what I’m doing trying to get info from people with experience
If you look at articles about anemones, and aiptasia in particular, you can learn which nems are most harmful, how powerful their sting is relative to each other, and which fish have commensal relationships with certain nems.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back