Algea with 0 nutrients

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's enough to make me want out of the hobby. It's been strangling my corals.
I have the same thoughts at times. My rock is the 10 years old and full of phosphate. I keep feeding light, doing water changes, runn8ng gfo and carbon, and growing chaeto in my sump and the ha keeps growing. I have been told that at some point the phosphate will be used up but it is taking forever. I now think I should change out my substrate since it is full of po4 too. I intend to beat this son of satin at some point so I can enjoy my tank again. Read the vibrant thread. It should give you hope.

OP
OP
Griff

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of what I'm dealing with.

I've been reading up on Kent magnesium. Thinking of trying it. I currently have brightwell magnesium would bringing it up with that work just as well as the Kent?

Also only have the one gyre 150 maybe I need two small power heads pointing behind the rocks to keep detritus from building up.

Also just ordered 25 astreas 15 ceriths 5 orange chestnuts 1 fighting conch 1 Mexican turbo and 20 nerites

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of what I'm dealing with.

I've been reading up on Kent magnesium. Thinking of trying it. I currently have brightwell magnesium would bringing it up with that work just as well as the Kent?

Also only have the one gyre 150 maybe I need two small power heads pointing behind the rocks to keep detritus from building up.

Also just ordered 25 astreas 15 ceriths 5 orange chestnuts 1 fighting conch 1 Mexican turbo and 20 nerites

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG
That looks like her algea to me. The kent mag only works on bryopsis, not ha. I have been fighting this battle for 2 years and my best advise is keeping up with your water changes, use a gravel vac to clean your sand each time, run gfo and carbon and change every 3 - 4 weeks and try that VIBRANT!!!! Enough people have had success that it should work. I need to sit down and order some. Monitoring your nitrate with a good test kit and your phosphase with a hanna checker ultra low range phosphorus tester will help you understand what is going on with what the ha is feeding on.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back