AliExpress A8SE Reef Light

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a brief check on aliexpress and alibaba and can’t find them but I’m sure they’re out there somewhere

There's a company called Seatorch on AliE that makes an XR15 clone (LM-15), an XR30 clone (LM-30) and one in the middle (LM-25).

They're more expensive than the X30/A8, but seem a little better quality with a better app.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 3 of the x30 Blues, got them in a week or so. Man, they are nice! Only issue I don’t trust the European plug and adapter they provided. Ended up cutting wire and using a 2 pole, 2 wire flat handle plug, 183BK from my local hardware store. Also, app worked fine on my 2.4hz router. Lots of preset light options, so much easier. You can also link multiple lights. Note the old WiFi SBReeflights in background, great lights but the app is no longer supported on these, I’m ok as I got 7 years out of them. Let’s see how long these Hiphen X30’s will last!!
IMG_6438.jpeg
IMG_6437.jpeg
How long did it take for your x30 blue to arrive? I just ordered mine and it said the estimated shipping date is end of May?

tgn225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty normal growth I’d expect for sps. Tough to guage considering the frags I made. Color improved on all pieces from the original color when purchased. Look at the picachu (grey with yellow) turned to a strong yellow with crazy growth over 2/3 months.
could you please share details of your schedule and spectrum? I just ordered a pair of A8 Pros

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @telegraham did a review on the A7. Not sure which version as I can’t find it currently
@tgn225 ... hope this helps.

A7II.jpg
A7II spread image.png

This is all channels at 100%, it pulls 93W, and there's not a lot of light sent downrange. Interestingly, a G6 XR15 running AB+ at 100% throws the same average PAR. 44 μmol/m2/s is all ya get.

I don't like the app, but I didn't like the A8 app.

It will grow corals.

If you want easier and more powerful, consider the Nicrew 100 instead. Available at Amazon.

Lobophyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tgn225 ... hope this helps.

A7II.jpg
A7II spread image.png

This is all channels at 100%, it pulls 93W, and there's not a lot of light sent downrange. Interestingly, a G6 XR15 running AB+ at 100% throws the same average PAR. 44 μmol/m2/s is all ya get.

I don't like the app, but I didn't like the A8 app.

It will grow corals.

If you want easier and more powerful, consider the Nicrew 100 instead. Available at Amazon.
Thanks, should do the trick for my 26 gallon tank

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in a 24"x15"x20" tank (Juwel Lido 120)?

What was the height of the fixture on the par test above ? thank you
A different take on it..

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not exactly what you wanted but here’s my recent findings. Down below I wrote how I programmed it; a common problem for users and the biggest hurdle in my opinion:

Previously I ran Kessils for several years... Until they all magically died at the 2 year mark. I liked the look but they didn’t grow things well. I moved on to Radions which grow things really really well but create more of a T5 look (no shimmer). The A7 comes on around noon and runs into the evening so I get a late evening shimmer as the Radions power down on the AB+ schedule.

I purchased an A+ A7 online for less than alieexpress from “aquarium low cost” to add some accent lighting to my tank. It took about 30 days to arrive. I have another 2 on order and they’re taking a bit longer. The power supply died literally within the first 5 minutes so I upgraded it for now (The seller is sending me a new one).

It’s a Kessil A360x (more or less) and unless you have them side-by-side or have run Kessils you won’t know the difference. The light matrix isn’t as tight as the Kessil as others have stated online. Fortunately this is an easy fix by using one of the two included reflectors (90 degree and 55 degree) to redirect and focus the light. I think I paid $115 for the light and it comes with what Kessil charges $50 for in reflectors. The Kessil 35degree reflector also works on the A7 too to get a super tight beam for a clam or Anemone or to roast marshmallows.

It has a single 1/4-20 screw hole on top for mounting. I purchased a 1/4-20 x 1/2” carriage bolt at Lowe’s and an $11 swivel camera mount from Amazon and it slid easily on an RMS mount between my Radions. It can now be directed and locked in place. That thread size is common for mounts for cameras and things so mounting options are nearly limitless.

You will need the app to program it. The knobs don’t do anything meaningful. The problem? It’s in Chinese. They made an attempt at a US app but it’s broken as they forgot to make the “upload to device” button active. So…you HAVE to use the Chinese app.

How to program ANY OF THESE LIGHTS if you don’t speak Chinese: In the instruction manual is a QR code for the apps. DO NOT choose the one with English writing. Choose the Chinese one. Download it on a tablet. I assume most people own a tablet these days but if no, buy one on Amazon for $50 (You are still at less than 1/2 the cost of the kessil).

Download Google Translate on your phone and select Chinese (simplified) to English. Use the photo/live translate button. Hold your phone over the tablet with the app open. Voila! It converts everything on the tablet into English in real time as you use the app on the tablet. The app is just color sliders and setting intensity points on a timeline, saving your program, then uploading it to the device.
Interesting for sure

Georg178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, has anyone made a comparison between A8 se and K7s pro III ?
Who has seen these lights together in work ?
I am interested in the picture, where are more saturated colors ?
I am facing the choice of light for a new aquarium, 60 cm 45 cm height 45cm volume of 120 liters.
The cost of lights in Russia
A8 se without fixture 177 dollars
K7s pro III complete set with mount 150 dollars.
Delivery is 3 weeks.
which one would you choose ?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Georg178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered an A8 se today, should arrive on May 9. At that time
Temporarily connected 2 Sylvania Coralstar, 24 W. For the first time I saw my aquarium under this t5 light. It's like a different aquarium, very beautiful, only a little lack of fluorescence. before this was NooPsyche K7 mini.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, has anyone made a comparison between A8 se and K7s pro III ?
Who has seen these lights together in work ?
I am interested in the picture, where are more saturated colors ?
I am facing the choice of light for a new aquarium, 60 cm 45 cm height 45cm volume of 120 liters.
The cost of lights in Russia
A8 se without fixture 177 dollars
K7s pro III complete set with mount 150 dollars.
Delivery is 3 weeks.
which one would you choose ?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
The A8 has more lighting power than the K7 so you would need less fixture to light up the same than the K7 so price difference is kind of neglected.

The K7 has 90degree lens and the A8 uses 120degree. The K7 would penetrate deeper, the A8 has better coverage. It really depend on your tank and what you plan to keep. The A8 can use Radion's optional lens so it can also penetrate deeper.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just assembled 3 a8se, the app is very easy to configure. Let's see if the sps are ok. Soon I will measure the PAR.
1000069390.jpg
did you encounter any issues with the lights not syncing when you send a lighting program to them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back