all green rainbow splice support group

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_9744.jpeg

my green splice. If you look at the right side there is one small branch that is getting red streaks. Hope it continues!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Here's mine. I've had it for 6 weeks or so. It's been mounted in it's current location for about a month. It's encrusting well so far, but definitely no red to speak of as of now. My tank is an old 125g Oceanic lit by a combination of MH, T5, and LED.

This is a resilient coral. I've recently upped my bio load quite a bit and have had some bumps and bruises along the way with nutrient issues (drastically increased feeding). While many of my acros definitely noticed the fluctuations, this one seems to have not cared at all.

IMG_2499.jpeg

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a resilient coral. I've recently upped my bio load quite a bit and have had some bumps and bruises along the way with nutrient issues (drastically increased feeding). While many of my acros definitely noticed the fluctuations, this one seems to have not cared at all.

This has been my experience with it as well. I battled AEFW but they never touched this coral. But to rid them from the tank I dismounted and dipped all my acros in KCL every 6 days for 5 times. This acro never lost color, polyp extension or growth. It just constantly chugs along no matter what.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This has been my experience with it as well. I battled AEFW but they never touched this coral. But to rid them from the tank I dismounted and dipped all my acros in KCL every 6 days for 5 times. This acro never lost color, polyp extension or growth. It just constantly chugs along no matter what.

Yeah, it's nice having such a nice coral that also won't die if you look at it wrong. Lol.

How long have you had yours?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got mine in December 2021 I think. Maybe January 2022. Got it free from TCK during a promo they had for Black Friday.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I got mine in December 2021 I think. Maybe January 2022. Got it free from TCK during a promo they had for Black Friday.

Nice. That's some solid encrusting for that time frame. I'd imagine that once it starts to branch out a little it will explode either growth (hopefully with more red!).

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well boys, I believe it may be happening! Lol. This picture was taken about 5 minutes ago and there is definitely a blend of red coming in, but there appears to be a couple of spots with more defined red in them. It's very hard to get a decent picture because this piece is toward the front of my tank, my canopy doesn't allow for much access with the camera, and the red areas are on the backside of the coral (which receives the most light). So rather than a good top down, this is more or less shot from about a 45* angle over the coral. FWIW, this was taken at basically the peak of my light cycle w/ quite a bit of whites running.

It could be that it is simply morphing into more of a red hue, but it's fun to watch none the less.

IMG_3205.jpeg

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well boys, I believe it may be happening! Lol. This picture was taken about 5 minutes ago and there is definitely a blend of red coming in, but there appears to be a couple of spots with more defined red in them. It's very hard to get a decent picture because this piece is toward the front of my tank, my canopy doesn't allow for much access with the camera, and the red areas are on the backside of the coral (which receives the most light). So rather than a good top down, this is more or less shot from about a 45* angle over the coral. FWIW, this was taken at basically the peak of my light cycle w/ quite a bit of whites running.

It could be that it is simply morphing into more of a red hue, but it's fun to watch none the less.

IMG_3205.jpeg
very cool, keep us updated.

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was about to buy an all green rainbow splice & join the support group but at the last minute vendor offered me an upgrade to a frag that had some red/purple for $200 extra , so of course , after reading this thread closely , I took the one with both colors

What par did you guys keep your frags at when they were small ? I have mine at about 250-275 but am worried it may be a bit strong since it’s such a small frag, I would hate to cook it

Maybe I should bring it down to 150-200 range ? And then move it up higher as it gets larger ?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated, I will definitely contribute to this post with updates as far as growth and how the color comes in , every few months , with good pics

Attachments

• CA09FAD1-2EA2-4105-89B7-E267BE9FF9AA.jpeg
    CA09FAD1-2EA2-4105-89B7-E267BE9FF9AA.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 58

Baby_Shark

King of shark week!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was about to buy an all green rainbow splice & join the support group but at the last minute vendor offered me an upgrade to a frag that had some red/purple for $200 extra , so of course , after reading this thread closely , I took the one with both colors

What par did you guys keep your frags at when they were small ? I have mine at about 250-275 but am worried it may be a bit strong since it’s such a small frag, I would hate to cook it

Maybe I should bring it down to 150-200 range ? And then move it up higher as it gets larger ?

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated, I will definitely contribute to this post with updates as far as growth and how the color comes in , every few months , with good pics
Even at a small frag ive kept mine at 350 par. SPS love higher par, 250 id is minimum.

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't have a problem putting it in 250-275 right away. Do you know what par it came from?

OP
OP
Joe462

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

They seem to be pretty tolerant of a rang of par, I would shoot for 250 or higher. I have had people tell me they love high par (400 plus) but mine have done well in the 250-300 range

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine green splice is one of the hardiest acros I have. It did start growing a red branch, which unfortunately broke when I was moving stuff in the tank. Now it’s all green again. Oh well.

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took the macro underwater shot for mine. It needs very high par to have nice color, mine is under 13 radion xr15 and 2 radion xr30. Sorry about the watermark, I had some people in China stealing my pictures before.

Attachments

• RS.jpg
    RS.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 80

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be pretty tolerant of a rang of par, I would shoot for 250 or higher. I have had people tell me they love high par (400 plus) but mine have done well in the 250-300 range
Thanks for letting me know , it came from 250 par so I put it in 250 but will slowly acclimate it to about 300-350 and see how it goes , here is an updated photo

Attachments

• DF920A84-44F2-4B85-B01A-EFB82CAAA682.jpeg
    DF920A84-44F2-4B85-B01A-EFB82CAAA682.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 71BF7282-5A29-4D4D-9A13-7272DBC4C8BC.jpeg
    71BF7282-5A29-4D4D-9A13-7272DBC4C8BC.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 42

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back