ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the water and these are the results
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424202912.451567.jpg

Any suggestion before start dosing?
Also I noticed that I have to dose 5.8 Kg of Mg! in order to bring the concentration to 1450 PPM. Is my understanding correct?

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is more like it: (to get the full picture)
16396117068_c20ee5e8fb_b.jpg

1- PH: seems a little unrealistic high (please recalibrate your PH meter with reference solution)
2- Salinity: is little low, but in DSR you let go of the relation salinity vs macro elements. just leave it as it is. it could creep up anyhow, due to use of KH and CaCl2. nowe you have enough badwitdh for corrections.
3- KH = Alk: , I adjusted yours(10) to target 8 , it's just fine (but if you prefer 10, no problem with me). No adjustments needed it will slowly go down with 0,5-1,5 dKH a day, due to consumption of your tank (corals/ coraline algea).
4- Ca: 450ppm is just fine , no adjustments needed
5- Mg: i adjusted your target to 1350ppm, you need 2,958 Kg of Mg+ (Magnesium chloride hexahydrate) to bring it up to level 1350ppm. This should be done in 3 dosing of 986 gram (maximum day corrections). To determine how the Mg dosing reacts in your system measure after applying 40% of the total correction (roughly after 1180gram). When target is reach apply the 40% rule in the near future for Mg corrections. (don't ask me why, it's just something that was discovered experimentally)
6- K (Potassium): just fine it will slowly go down, no action required, it seems to be abundantly present in commercial salt mixes.
---- i have to go sporting cu ltr.......
7- Sr (Strontium) is just fine it will go down (just like KH) about 0,1-0,5ppm a day so keep it available.
8- B (boron) is pritty stable once brought up to level. Replace B test when you get unreasonable readout without dosing.
9- I (iodide) is very reactive and will need daily dosing to keep up the level. A typical daily dosing will be about 0,003-0,006ppm (~5-10% of the corrrections). Do the corrections and start the daily Iodide dosing when you have a substantial SPS population.
Monitor Iodide once a week and if stable for a few months in a row, you can extend te measuring interval.
- Mn (manganes) in experimental fase. I recently started experiments with it on my own tank and also set up a goniopora species tank for it.
-NO3 is fine. no action required.
-PO4 is fine. no action required.
your tank is just started and dosing NO3 and PO4 now could fuel nuisance algea growth. Wait with this till you have a substantial coral population which could drain your resources and you see minor signals of distress with you corals (ligther/translucend color and tissue necrosis. The calculator wil issue a warning when you go to low or to high with your nutrients.
- Fe (iron) Fe+ is being used as a PO4 remover for daily dosing. No need for it at this stage because your PO is low enough. When PO4 is lower than targeted use Fe trace as an iron trace element. This will not lower your PO4 so dramaticly like Fe+ dosing.
The Fe measuring/dosing are not intended to reach a target value, but to prevent iron from building up to toxic levels.(Because Fe is very reactive this will rarely happen, but better safe than sorry)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ammari33

ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Glennf's for your advise, I will start doing the dose and the calibration for the PH [emoji106]

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the 40% Magnesium correction rule?
That is something i encountered in the last few years, when i started dosing Mg into my system.
When the Mg drops substantially at every measuring interval, it seems that applying 40% of the calculated amount does the trick. When you apply the complete calculated amount into your tank it overshoots.

I.e when you target 1350ppm it could end up being 1500ppm

Don't ask me why.
This was also encountered bij other people dosing magnesium

Last edited:
OP
OP
ammari33

ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent approach, this is what I noticed, even with the commercial product, when you follow the exact instructions you do not get a result as it stated [emoji1], [emoji106][emoji106]

OP
OP
ammari33

ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Tests as of 25 Feb 2015:
- KH = has reduced from 10 to 8.9 (within 7 days) this happened without any intervention from my side
- Ca = no change happened during 7 days (it is 440 PPM)
- Mg = has reached the target. increased from 1245 ppm to 1350 ppm after dosing 2,166 gram of Mg+ (however, the plan was to dose 2,958 gram)
- K (Potassium)= no changed happened during 7 days (it is 467 ppm)
- Sr (Strontium) = has reduced from 10 ppm to 8 ppm (I am planning to dose it to bring up the concentration to 10 ppm)
- B (Boron) = has reached the target. increased from 3.5 ppm to 4 ppm after dosing 213.66 ml
- I+ (Iodide) = here is the problem. I dosed 52.57 ml to boost it from 0 ppm to 0.006 ppm, however after testing the I+ using Salifert I+, no change happened. still the result shows 0 ppm after 24 hr from the dosing.
I need your opinion and guidance please
-

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodide has an annoying property to get absorbed very fast.
It seems like being buffered into the system. After a while it can overshoot if you keep on dosing large quantities.
The way to go about this is "the relax way" .

Don't try to get iodide measurable instantly because this will annoy you very fast.

For the time being you can measure weekly or bi-weekly and do the advised correction. Beside this you can daily dose 1/10 of this correctie. This way you keep iodide available, untill you get a stable measurement. Once you get a stable reading you can detemine the real consumption.

When you doubt the iodide test , you can dose 0,03-0,06 ppm I+ into your system and measure this within 30 minutes. Rhe readout should be a rise of the dosed amount.

So you see you can use the I+ solution to doublecheck your testkit.
This this the case for all solutions and testkits used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ammari33

ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glennf
I was running PhosBan reactor in order to reduce phosphate. I decided to stop the reactor and depend on DSR Carbon and Fe+ to control phosphate and nitrate.
When I saw the DSR Calculator I got confused. I do not know how many quantity do I have to dose [emoji53]
My phosphate concentration is 0.26 PPM
My Nitrate concentration is 25 PPM
Would you please explain in details the quality that I should dose for both Fe+ and Carbon V/S?
My tank Is 3370 Litre
I can see a stress on my SPS and some of the SPS are losing colour

Last edited:

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glennf
I was running PhosBan reactor in order to reduce phosphate. I decided to stop the reactor and depend on DSR Carbon and Fe+ to control phosphate and nitrate.
When I saw the DSR Calculator I got confused. I do not know how many quantity do I have to dose [emoji53]
My phosphate concentration is 0.26 PPM
My Nitrate concentration is 25 PPM
Would you please explain in details the quality that I should dose for both Fe+ and Carbon V/S?
My tank Is 3370 Litre
I can see a stress on my SPS and some of the SPS are losing colour

look in here:

for nitrate issues
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...thod-dutch-synthetic-reefing.html#post2285391

and here for PO4 Issues
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...thod-dutch-synthetic-reefing.html#post2285756

Last edited:
OP
OP
ammari33

ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank Glennf
Know it is clear, can you please provide me with the latest version of DSR Calculation. As the current calculator has a problem on the following:
- DSR Carbon V/S dosing table "did not mention that dosing is daily"
- Phosphate, no numbers coming under correction it shows "------"
- Fe dosing tab: numbers are not showing

Thanks

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my late responce..
You can pm me if i don't reply within 1 week.

Version 150218 Mn - Beta ! available for trail testing.

https://drive.google.com/folderview...gyczNYb2c0V1hfTEFHNlFLakw1azNsNXc&usp=sharing

16565350845_f7b50bacb4_c.jpg

improved water volume calculator and move to another tab
Correction dosing scheme added
data logging and graphics improved and error remove (thanks to contribution of Palmexotica)
new! PH+ support
links placed to the topics of the supplements
placed links to subjects which deserves extra attention to prevent overdosing.
removed minor errors

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back