An experiment that worked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, total mea culpa here!

We intended to price the Scoly at $88.00. For some stupid reason, when I put it up on the site, I put it up at $110, tho whole time thinking $110 was a) The correct price for the coral as decided by us, and b) "well below" $100!

Even wondering why $110 was such a big deal because it was "only $88.00"...Yikes!

Ok, I'm totally losing it..Time for the weekend! Bring it on!

:rofl:

Scott

Michelle Lemech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Where things will really get exciting is when we can frag a fully-grown frag and offer F2's. That can be a first step in reducing the pressure off of wild populations, perhaps reducing the number of specimens that are collected. It's a natural extension of our work and ethos, so we're excited.

Scott Fellman and Joseph Caparatta
Unique Corals

Scott, as I have told you before, stick to what you know. When you misuse terms, like F2, you lose credibility. F2 or second filial generation refers to the offspring of resulting from a cross from TWO F1 individuals. It only applies to SEXUAL reproduction. NOT propagation.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, as I have told you before, stick to what you know. When you misuse terms, like F2, you lose credibility. F2 or second filial generation refers to the offspring of resulting from a cross from TWO F1 individuals. It only applies to SEXUAL reproduction. NOT propagation.

Is there a term that only applies to propagation?

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does it grow back to a perfect round shape without the underlying skeleton?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't even consider a scoly before, but $88 sounds like something I could eventually come up with! :D

I can't right now, but in a few months maybe...

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skeleton had to grow to that shape originally. I'm guessing that's why Unique is thinking it will take around 8 months to fully shape up

Exactly, Richie..I'm taking a best guess based on progress to date on the frag...I imagine the coral's skeleton develops at a rate that is based upon available nutrition, etc. As we hypothesized previously, there may or may not be one single factor that quickens growth. I think it's a combination of many factors. I would hazard to guess that a coral is genetically "programmed" to achieve a specific morphology...For example, Sarcophyton, which will grow into a near duplicate of its parent colony. It's all very interesting, though!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't even consider a scoly before, but $88 sounds like something I could eventually come up with! :D

I can't right now, but in a few months maybe...

We think that this is a price point that makes sense for many consumers, and will hopefully result in more people having the opportunity to enjoy a coral that might otherwise be cost-prohibitive. And, the satisfaction of "growing your own" from a frag is always nice!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Very interesting !

It IS! Like I said, not earth-shattering, but its nice to try something a bit different than what we've done in the past with these corals. And, if in some small way, it encourages others to try similar things, it's all good!

Scott

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the really cool thing to watch is how the color comes back in. What kind of patterns will you get on the regrown part and will it have similar characteristics to the mother.

You guys could get all Frankenstein on us and see if you can graft two scoly halves together.

I call dibs on the first Frankenscoly, and reserve all rights to the term Frankenscoly
Mr. Buzzkill, here. This might put that thought on hold. :)

@UniqueCorals, looking good! There have been a couple threads from a few years ago where people have fragged scolys. Last person I remember doing it was ianiwane. Unfortunately, the scoly fragging threads don't get updated much after the frags heal. Please keep this thread alive with your experiences!

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@UniqueCorals, looking good! There have been a couple threads from a few years ago where people have fragged scolys. Last person I remember doing it was ianiwane. Unfortunately, the scoly fragging threads don't get updated much after the frags heal. Please keep this thread alive with your experiences!

Dang, I even googled frankenscoly before I wrote that. I think my google is broke lol

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, never said it was earth shattering...just something of potential interest! And we're excited because the commercial possibilites and being able to offer a cool product at a sustainable lower price..Yes...want to hear more about everyone's experience with this!

-Scott

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got any more scoly frag progress photos? I am trying to convince some people that scoly propagation is a good thing and not a waste of a perfectly good scolymia.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got any more scoly frag progress photos? I am trying to convince some people that scoly propagation is a good thing and not a waste of a perfectly good scolymia.

We are going to get some more pics up really soon...Been a bit crazy with orders of late (a GOOD thing), and a compressed holiday week shipping schedule, so I'll get 'em up soon!

-Scott

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ness but should t 1/4 of a bleeding apple amount to 1/4 of the original pricing?

no.

time ("shelf" space = $$), calcium and other elements, energy (pumps, lights, etc.), fragging time, etc. all went into cutting this up and growing it back out.. why do all of that when you could get the same amount of money for a whole one without the trouble? it's not quite like pulling apart a cluster of zoas..

Back