An experiment that worked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

franklypre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much and when can I get a frag of the one on the first page, I think it would be neat to watch one of these grow back into a "O". It's great ya'll are pushing the envelope and sharing the experience.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much and when can I get a frag of the one on the first page, I think it would be neat to watch one of these grow back into a "O". It's great ya'll are pushing the envelope and sharing the experience.

Fairly soon, we hope...We'll be updating soon!

Scott
(Getting tired of hearing "soon" I'll bet!)

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a good Project cuz they newly imported Scolys are smaller each time and thats a sign for over harvesting. I hope you have more success.

Greetz

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great!!!! It makes me very happy to see people working to cause a lesser impact on the wild reefs. I personally would pay a higher price for a scoly that I knew was fragged and grown out in captivity. Not because I think it would be healthier, but the less we pull from the ocean the better!!! That being said I have a scoly and other coral/fish that are from the ocean.

Keep up the good work and congratulations!!!!!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great!!!! It makes me very happy to see people working to cause a lesser impact on the wild reefs. I personally would pay a higher price for a scoly that I knew was fragged and grown out in captivity. Not because I think it would be healthier, but the less we pull from the ocean the better!!! That being said I have a scoly and other coral/fish that are from the ocean.

Keep up the good work and congratulations!!!!!

Thanks for the props, but solo much more to learn and be accomplished in this area. We are barely scratching the surface, making crude and rudimentary steps...but hopefully, we can develop this more, and help inspire others to improve and do more to help this cause!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in a frag or two tried to pm you.

Hi Still not quite ready to sell...we will advise when they are!

Sorry about the PM thing...Not sure why my inbox is clear but I can't get PM/s...I'll speak to the admins and get it fixed asap!

-Scott

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Still not quite ready to sell...we will advise when they are!

Sorry about the PM thing...Not sure why my inbox is clear but I can't get PM/s...I'll speak to the admins and get it fixed asap!

-Scott

Not a problem just remember to put me on the list.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know how revolutionary or beneficial my experience is, but I bought a scoly "frag" (it was a VERY damaged scoly...pretty much a fourth of one) from a lfs. I cut the excess skeleton away, and feed it LPS pellets by Fauna Marin. It is now very round and looks slightly puffier than the frag pictured above. Still got some growing to do, but doing very well. The guy at the lfs originally told me that it would be years before it came back, but less than a year later it looks really really good. I didn't think of my experience as being unique, but when I saw this thread, I thought I'd share. I'm excited to see what's going on here!

I'll try to add a pic of mine once I get home this evening.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guy feed the scoly? Pellet or mysis?

Hi Kevin,

We're pretty fanatical feeders. We feed at least 3-4 times a week. Our Scolys usually receive oyster eggs, finally chopped mysid, or other coral feeds, roughly targeted towards the mouth when the flow and lights are off. It's important not to overfeed these corals, as it's my feeling that united food gets into the body cavity of the coral, where it can rot and cause a host of other problems for the animal.

Hope this helps!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I promised some updates, and one of our customers, Mark Y., who purchased the very first Scoly frag we ever made,sent me some pics of his "Bleeding Apple" frag. For reference, here is the original frag:

IMG_8657.jpg

And here are some progress shots provided by him. You can see a near-complete Scoly (albeit with unusual morphology)...Pretty cool nonetheless! And, at $70, well worth the wait for our customers who want cool Scolys at a fraction of the cost of full-sized specimens!

Scolymia frag_1.jpg

Scolymia frag_2.jpg

Thought you'd find this interesting!

Scott

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool indeed, at 70$ thats not too bad. Your no matter what making profit from wholesale prices of a whole scoly then cutting it up to 4-5 pieces at $70ea Tons of profit in there. 280-350$ per scoly. buy it at $40-300$ wholesale depending on color of course. Now with a nano scoly would you be thinking about fragging one of those cause the price on them are at 75-80$ retail and just about 2" cutting into 4 would be great and lower the price much more and it would be a little bigger then a 1 headed fully adult acan. witch would be cool to see. that would give more room for abigger collection of scolys for more people and more space to place. and more for you guys to experiment with.

this is a great thing you guys are doing and im so happy it worked. i wonder with acanlobthilia or lobos. or welso's if we can do that.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool indeed, at 70$ thats not too bad. Your no matter what making profit from wholesale prices of a whole scoly then cutting it up to 4-5 pieces at $70ea Tons of profit in there. 280-350$ per scoly. buy it at $40-300$ wholesale depending on color of course. Now with a nano scoly would you be thinking about fragging one of those cause the price on them are at 75-80$ retail and just about 2" cutting into 4 would be great and lower the price much more and it would be a little bigger then a 1 headed fully adult acan. witch would be cool to see. that would give more room for abigger collection of scolys for more people and more space to place. and more for you guys to experiment with.

this is a great thing you guys are doing and im so happy it worked. i wonder with acanlobthilia or lobos. or welso's if we can do that.

Good thoughts/question! Thats the long term goal: To be able to offer nice Scolys at a price point under $100! The "Nano Scolys" are something we haven't really played with much, in terms of fragging. I think that the relative scarcity of these corals might be because the collectors are bypassing them in favor of larger specimens. Also, I am not sure how well small specimens might take to the fragging process. As far as I know, these are still Scolymia australis, albeit in a smaller size. I don't believe that the so-called "Nanos" are actually a "dwarf" species (of course, I can be totally wrong..there is precedent for that, LOL). How cool would it be to offer, say, a $30-$40 Scoly frag! We've been busy experimenting; hope to get some new frags out soon.

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the frag is coming along well. What was the time frame from cutting to these latest photos?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 89 46.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 18 9.4%
Back