Anemone help please

Flores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I requested a long tentacle anemone from this guy who works at a fish store near me. He wasn't sure of what kind it was. But it was big and nice and seemed to be a long tentacle. I purchased it. First night it floated around tank. I woke up and it was stuck in my overhead. I removed it and now it's upside down. I don't know what to do.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397281186.760223.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397281201.090890.jpg

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you flip it on its foot. dont let it stay upside down. your overhead? you mean your powerhHead?

also very nice pictures. cant wait too see more of your tank, welcome to R2R.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing you can do. Make sure she stays put, try to get a lil hole dug to keep em steady for a bit. Put a filter, or sponge over the top of the powerheads so it doesn't take a nose dive again, at least until its comfy and settled in. Still looks decent to me. What kind of lighting do you have it under? What are your water parameters? They kinda like prestine water conditions.

OP
OP
Flores

Flores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've flipped it over on its foot and keeps flipping itself over. I've gotten rid of my power heads and split my returns on each side of my tank. This morning the foot is still inflated and on its top. Doing a water change now

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these creatures are sensitive, as long as the foot does not get damaged usually it grows its tentacles back and will recover/with proper lighting , The Long tentacle i used to have loved my 250 w metal halides, after i switched to led radions it never liked them. went into hiding and finally started to deteriorate. watch him closely acclimate him to your lighting. hopefully he will adjust nicely. Run carbon thru a reactor if you have one, this will keep the water squeaky clean and he will recover faster

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad you put up the FTS. That anemone is huge - I would just leave him be and it does still look like it can recover. All the steps you've taken (removing powerheads, doing a water change) are what would be recommended. I hope it foots for you.

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, one trick that sometimes works like a charm is to get a one foot long plastic pipe that is about five inches wide and then cut it into three sections,each one approximately four inchs long. Be sure to file the edges smooth so the anemone won't be caught on anything. Next, place these tubes around the bottom of the tank, some on the side and some facing up on top of the sand.Then place the anemone on top of one of the tubes, Anenomes tend not to like having their bases exposed to bright light so it will be able to cling on to the tube and position its base out of the direct lighting. Also turn down the flow so the anenime can move around naturally for a bit while it finds its footing. Good luck too, its a beautiful specimen!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flores

Flores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my anemone has seems to planted it's foot or wedged itself between some rocks. My nitrates are 5-10 and my clown fish loves it. He's a little evil fish now.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, that anemone isn't an LTA (( M. doreensis )), but appears to be an E. quadricolor (( BTA )).

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years of experience, and that the underside of oral disc is smooth was a dead give away.

An M. doreensis --- ignore the damage to the foot, look at the "bumps" (( verrucae )), which the E. quadricolor (( BTA )) lacks.

GLTA5_20.jpg

OP
OP
Flores

Flores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it could be a h. Magnifica? It doesn't have that bubble tip like most btas. It doesn't have the bumps, spots, fully closes in itself when the light which to a moon setting, my fire clown hosts it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back