Any crossover diseases between fresh and saltwater?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am asking because I might get some guppy’s or mollies for hair algae control in the refugium…These will be from the box store so all disease free bets are off

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Where it can happen is w
I am asking because I might get some guppy’s or mollies for hair algae control in the refugium…These will be from the box store so all disease free bets are off
ith nets. At my store I had buckets with methelyne blue and nets for fresh and for salt water use only

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where it can happen is w

ith nets. At my store I had buckets with methelyne blue and nets for fresh and for salt water use only
I still dont think fresh water ick or velvet can take being in full salt so even if it did get transferred it wouldnt survive. Again I dont know if there are any bacteria pathogens that can transfer between the two.

We did the same thing at the lfs I have worked in. I think its more of a fresh to fresh salt to salt issue. Keeping nets on their respective bank of tanks is just too hard to do. Much easier to keep them in one spot.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is some crossover from Mollies according to some posts in this site - and they can act as reservoirs for Ich. I would tend to use mollies as compared to guppies for what you're planning. I would quarantine them using a freshwater protocol, then transition to saltwater over 3-5 days - then add to the tank. @Jay Hemdal has more information on this!! Best of luck with your tanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to use mollies as compared to guppies for what you're planning.
Yeah guppies sometimes pick at algae but that’s all mollies do …
I hat to admit this but I used to just dump feeder live bearers into salt straight from fresh, justification being my pardon is better than their awaiting death sentence.
Quarantine it is, I’ll get a tub now then

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also include @Jay Hemdal and the rest of the team. (note we are not the reef squad - but rather 'the fish medic' squad
Indeed, that was a glaring omission, especially since I might annoy him, RHF and a few other mods…Much appreciate the FREE customer service from fellow hobbyists,,, Your jobs erh volunteer assistance is very appreciated

Added: compliments can be a form of manipulation, not the case here but was just wondering if anyone has came back and thanked you folks for all the fish you have saved?

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about something lymphocystis disease? According to google it can effect both saltwater and freshwater fish, but I’m not an expert.
Following this thread tho as I recently started working part time at a pond install company taking care of their koi’s and don’t wanna transfer anything to my reef.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about something lymphocystis disease? According to google it can effect both saltwater and freshwater fish, but I’m not an expert.
Following this thread tho as I recently started working part time at a pond install company taking care of their koi’s and don’t wanna transfer anything to my reef.
Yeah me too. I am pretty sure on the ick and like but bacteria and viruses I am unsure. Lets see what the big wigs have to say.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the issues I've heard of where freshwater fish carried disease over to marine aquariums were related to the "freshwater" fish being housed under brackish conditions (or at least some salt). 4 ppt is enough salt for Amyloodinium (velvet) to survive, as well as some flukes.

@GlassMunky mentioned Lymphocystis - that could be possible, but only a few freshwater species get that (glassfish for example, a marine derived species).

Internal parasites of course easily go between freshwater and marine fish (since internally, they have the same osmotic balance) but in most cases, they are transmitted through predation.

Bacteria are a wild card - many species survive transferring from freshwater to marine (we backwash our filters with city water and the bacteria lives just fine). However, most bacteria are ubiquitous, and are found in all systems eventually.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the issues I've heard of where freshwater fish carried disease over to marine aquariums were related to the "freshwater" fish being housed under brackish conditions (or at least some salt). 4 ppt is enough salt for Amyloodinium (velvet) to survive, as well as some flukes.

@GlassMunky mentioned Lymphocystis - that could be possible, but only a few freshwater species get that (glassfish for example, a marine derived species).

Internal parasites of course easily go between freshwater and marine fish (since internally, they have the same osmotic balance) but in most cases, they are transmitted through predation.

Bacteria are a wild card - many species survive transferring from freshwater to marine (we backwash our filters with city water and the bacteria lives just fine). However, most bacteria are ubiquitous, and are found in all systems eventually.
Interesting that you mention this because we keep almost all the Koi pools between 4-6ppt to help deal with things like flukes if they are showing issues and we find something with a skin scrape/scope.

I do tend to wash my hands after being in or handling any of the Koi and I Shower immediately when getting home as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you mention this because we keep almost all the Koi pools between 4-6ppt to help deal with things like flukes if they are showing issues and we find something with a skin scrape/scope.

I do tend to wash my hands after being in or handling any of the Koi and I Shower immediately when getting home as well.

The koi would have to be exposed to brackish water flukes, otherwise, the purely FW species won't transfer over to marine tanks, ever. I should have been clearer: fish housed in brackish water can develop brackish water flukes if exposed to them, and those can transfer over to marine fish. You'd have to mix something like lookdowns with your koi for that to happen (grin). This is more of an issue for fish farms and pet stores that mix a lot of fish from a lot of different regions.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The koi would have to be exposed to brackish water flukes, otherwise, the purely FW species won't transfer over to marine tanks, ever. I should have been clearer: fish housed in brackish water can develop brackish water flukes if exposed to them, and those can transfer over to marine fish. You'd have to mix something like lookdowns with your koi for that to happen (grin). This is more of an issue for fish farms and pet stores that mix a lot of fish from a lot of different regions.
Thanks for clarifying!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 183 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back