Any crossover diseases between fresh and saltwater?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal - so - just out of curiosity - if one kept koi in a somewhat brackish environment - can they also 'catch' velvet?
Good question - they would have to be exposed to it - and that comes from the marine environment, so I'm not sure what the mechanism for that would be. A koi pond near a bay perhaps....

Captain-Barnacle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is virtually no invasive factor across the limits of fresh v. saltwater, but the brackish in-between is the Wild West. Controlling salinity can be a powerful parameter to combat biological imbalances. Or I have no idea what is going on.

Last edited:

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah guppies sometimes pick at algae but that’s all mollies do …
I hat to admit this but I used to just dump feeder live bearers into salt straight from fresh, justification being my pardon is better than their awaiting death sentence.
Quarantine it is, I’ll get a tub now then
I hope you're not disappointed with your Mollie's real time consumption of algas. I purchased two pair of mollies at an unusually older (and knowledgeable) LFS near me. I was warned at the time I bought them that they would eat algae from my SW tank ONLY IF it was their ONLY food source, but NOT if they had any additional food via foods offered to the other fish in my tank. Duh, I didn't listen to them, but they were right on. I recently returned 20 plus of the original's offspring to the same LFS. I elected to keep a few large pregnant females and some males and put them in my DT. Their offspring won't last long in the DT, but will no doubt add to the "thrill of the hunt" for any of my carnivore fish that can consume them.

FWIW, I must admit that I greatly admire Jake Adams for what he did to advance our hobby. But, I have no idea why he kept mollies in most of his experimental tanks...

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you're not disappointed with your Mollie's real time consumption of algas. I purchased two pair of mollies at an unusually older (and knowledgeable) LFS near me. I was warned at the time I bought them that they would eat algae from my SW tank ONLY IF it was their ONLY food source, but NOT if they had any additional food via foods offered to the other fish in my tank. Duh, I didn't listen to them, but they were right on. I recently returned 20 plus of the original's offspring to the same LFS. I elected to keep a few large pregnant females and some males and put them in my DT. Their offspring won't last long in the DT, but will no doubt add to the "thrill of the hunt" for any of my carnivore fish that can consume them.

FWIW, I must admit that I greatly admire Jake Adams for what he did to advance our hobby. But, I have no idea why he kept mollies in most of his experimental tanks...
Before it was considered a bad thing I used to cycle with mollies but that’s it, I never really had em long term in a reef tank except feeder escapees. They do leave lip imprints on glass but again that was freshwater… Anyway I’m gonna be on the lookout for that, thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good question - they would have to be exposed to it - and that comes from the marine environment, so I'm not sure what the mechanism for that would be. A koi pond near a bay perhaps....
I was wondering because I keep our koi in the house in the winter - with a low amount of salt in the water.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time any of you Reefsquad folks take the time to bother I sincerely appreciate the work … not kissing bottoms but my face is close (or does that sound worse) lol
@vetteguy53081 @twentyleagues @MnFish1
Just so you know I am not a reef squad or fish medic I am just a dude that has kept freshwater fish his entire life and saltwater off and on since the late '90s. My knowledge is not of any squad level but I know a thing or two about a thing or two (just about enough to get into trouble). I was debating how to address your post. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know I am not a reef squad or fish medic I am just a dude that has kept freshwater fish his entire life and saltwater off and on since the late '90s. My knowledge is not of any squad level but I know a thing or two about a thing or two (just about enough to get into trouble). I was debating how to address your post. Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Appreciate it anyway…..I don’t know a soul here personally, but for all the answered questions I think more than a few go without follow up or thanks, that’s all … I’m not perfect either so thought I’d make sure this time

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back