Any Tech People on Here?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help, I might be changing over to an Intel processor from an AMD, which means I will have to reinstall windows but I have heard that you can lose files doing so. Is there a way I can reinstall without losing my files?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to reinstall windows?
I have done this switch (new Intel chipset motherboard and Intel cpu)
Just had to change drivers which is a pain lol

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, when you reinstall windows you will lose any files on that hard drive. Best option is to copy all of your files to an external hard drive/flash drive. Also make sure you have any additional software you had installed available to install (CD's/Product keys/etc).

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to. Your os is not embedded in your chipset, it's all on your harddrive. This is a hardware change that should not effect your operating system. Should you reinstall? Doesn't hurt. Even if you were to re-install windows, there's an option to keep your files rather than discard them during the process. Google is your best friend here. I would highly advise finding a tutorial that's very similar to your situation and following that.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the replies.....now to pick out the chip an MB

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my head - I just go and buy a new computer!

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need some help, I might be changing over to an Intel processor from an AMD, which means I will have to reinstall windows but I have heard that you can lose files doing so. Is there a way I can reinstall without losing my files?
How many drives you have other than your C drive? you can copy your whole C drive stuffs including my pictures, music, documents to your D drive or other drives and then reinstall the window. New or reinstallation of windows always takes out data from your C-drive or whatever drive you installed your windows in. It will not affect any other drives and your data will be safe.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can actually switch the CPU nowadays? :) (That just dis-qualify me as a tech person already LOL)
Back then when I was building PCs for fun, the Motherboards could only handle 1 type or even 1 socket type CPU. Many years ago, they started to have 1 mother board that can handle both AMD and Intel CPU. I guess now they can even auto-detect the CPUs and RAM types...
What windows are you using? I actually agree with the person above that you might not need to change the software for the OS. However, maybe the CPU nowadays has video and other function chips integrated into the CPU also then you might need to install those new drivers if the OS does not have them already.

Install the driver first before switching the CPU?????

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether your replacing just the CPU or the motherboard Windows will detect a hardware change and just force you to re-authenticate your windows installation (make sure you have your windows key before the upgrade. If you don't know it there are utilities to extract it from registry). That's always been a anti piracy hassle to prevent cloning of HD's with windows installed. Assuming no issues booting you should probably just need to update and/or install some new drivers. No reason for a reinstall of windows.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What windows version are you referring to? The newer windows might be smarter. The Windows 7 and older will often give you a blue screen of death if you switch other board.....
Whether your replacing just the CPU or the motherboard Windows will detect a hardware change and just force you to re-authenticate your windows installation (make sure you have your windows key before the upgrade. If you don't know it there are utilities to extract it from registry). That's always been a anti piracy hassle to prevent cloning of HD's with windows installed. Assuming no issues booting you should probably just need to update and/or install some new drivers. No reason for a reinstall of windows.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can actually switch the CPU nowadays? :) (That just dis-qualify me as a tech person already LOL)
Back then when I was building PCs for fun, the Motherboards could only handle 1 type or even 1 socket type CPU. Many years ago, they started to have 1 mother board that can handle both AMD and Intel CPU. I guess now they can even auto-detect the CPUs and RAM types...
What windows are you using? I actually agree with the person above that you might not need to change the software for the OS. However, maybe the CPU nowadays has video and other function chips integrated into the CPU also then you might need to install those new drivers if the OS does not have them already.

Install the driver first before switching the CPU?????

He's swapping the MB too.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Windows 8.1 as my OS and I will be going from an AMD processor to an Intel processor. This will also require a new MB as well

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the drivers you have currently on your hard drive are for the old board and processor. Once you swap, you will be lucky if you can even boot to the desktop due to the missing/incorrect drivers. IMO I would copy all of your important data over to a flash drive (my documents, pictures, music, favorites, PST files, etc.) and just copy them back over after windows has been reinstalled.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need the product key. If this is an OEM version, you may not be able to use it at all. I would simply put in the hard drive to the new computer first (what you are really doing is buying a new computer, you confused some people the way you wrote this in the OP) and see what happens. It is possible it will simply re-detect everything and just work. It isn't like the kernel is compiled for a different chipset like UNIX. If not, you can re-install over the top of the original one and not lose any data. You should backup anything important first as a precaution.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need the product key. If this is an OEM version, you may not be able to use it at all. I would simply put in the hard drive to the new computer first (what you are really doing is buying a new computer, you confused some people the way you wrote this in the OP) and see what happens. It is possible it will simply re-detect everything and just work. It isn't like the kernel is compiled for a different chipset like UNIX. If not, you can re-install over the top of the original one and not lose any data. You should backup anything important first as a precaution.
Im not buying a new computer, the GPU, power supply, HDD, RAM and everything else is not being changed. I am just going to install a new CPU and MB

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 4 8.2%
Back