Anyone ever use cheaper alternatives for RODI components?

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I was wondering has anyone ever gone the cheaper route with RODI membranes/carbon blocks/sediment filters?

I need to replace my RODI filters and membrane, if I order from BRS I would get membrane and 2 carbon blocks for over $100
While I can order from Amazon a pack of 4 carbon blocks and a 150GPD membrane for around 50.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20240413-132032.png Screenshot_20240413-131945.png Screenshot_20240413-131728.png

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember where I bought my carbon and sediment filters. I've been running one of these membranes without issues.

Screenshot_20240413-132612.png
That's pretty similar to the one I posted a SS of, it claims removal of 97% stable salts (not sure what that means) just like the one I posted.

The one I posted claims removal of 99% TDS and 97% stable salts. I'm guessing that just means a 97% overall rejection rate. Or maybe 98%

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I was wondering has anyone ever gone the cheaper route with RODI membranes/carbon blocks/sediment filters?

I need to replace my RODI filters and membrane, if I order from BRS I would get membrane and 2 carbon blocks for over $100
While I can order from Amazon a pack of 4 carbon blocks and a 150GPD membrane for around 50.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20240413-132032.png Screenshot_20240413-131945.png Screenshot_20240413-131728.png

I always buy from home water filter suppliers and avoid the reef label tax.

It's works out about 1/4 the price here.

No problems in over 15 years.

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont know where you live and if your on city or a county public well. But for me Im on a private well, and I use an RO buddy off Amazon. My system has been running over 4 years and I purchased the high pressure pump and TDS meter off brs.. I run at zero TDS and when it hits 1 I order a new complete system which is only 70$ and in 4 years Ive purchased it 3 times. Now if you use city water this probably isn't the best approach with the possibility of chlorine and other contaminants. And things are doing well as you can see.

20240321_103552.jpg

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont know where you live and if your on city or a county public well. But for me Im on a private well, and I use an RO buddy off Amazon. My system has been running over 4 years and I purchased the high pressure pump and TDS meter off brs.. I run at zero TDS and when it hits 1 I order a new complete system which is only 70$ and in 4 years Ive purchased it 3 times. Now if you use city water this probably isn't the best approach with the possibility of chlorine and other contaminants. And things are doing well as you can see.

20240321_103552.jpg
I'm also on well water, which I feel like can be a bit scarier. I am in a agricultural/rural part of my town and fear pesticides or other nasty **** getting into my well. Not even sure on how well water systems work tbh.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t buy from Amazon. Airwaterice, spectrapure or BRS for me.

not all vendors are the same on amazon...

And i also am a firm believer of you pay for what you get... however i am also a firm believer of you should avoid "made for" tax... like if it has the words REEF in front, and they charge more..

Reef tax is almost as bad as Gamer tax.... but not on the level of audiophile tax, which is in a catigory of its own.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too run an AquaticLife system... I had the RO Buddy Plus DI which is a 50 GPD unit and only costs $70. But my needs outgrew that, so I am now on their 100 GPD twist in unit, you pay $140 initial cost, and buying all 4 filters at once is only $100, but they sell them individually for a reasonable price as well... It's such an easy unit. I also have their booster pump which is fantastic.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gone the cheap route so I can't speak to these. I just know there are a lot of fakes on Amazon. I do wonder about the RO membrane when they say it will last 2 to 3 years. A good membrane should last double that unless you are making a ton of water or don't take care of it. I personally know I have bad water, it is normally over 400 tds and I get around 4 to 6 out of my membrane. I also went with a .2 micron prefilter which I paid more for but it is supposed to last a year or 2 and not just 6 months.

You don't say, but if you aren't already running 150gpd, you will also need to get a new flow restrictor to match the gpd.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had to replace a membrane. I have to replace carbon the most. Carbon blocks are expensive compared to buying a cubic foot of Calgon Centaur and using refillable canisters.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got “city” water. Run the Amazon one. No issues. However I do also have a very large 3 stage filter on the main coming into the house.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always buy the cheap sediment and carbon filters from Amazon, for the membrane I only use a Dow Filmtec.
+1

Brand name membrane. The other filters don't go bad, so I will usually stock up on them when they go on sale in the local hardware store.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this with no problems I can detect.

1713095582945.png

Last edited:

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
not all vendors are the same on amazon...

And i also am a firm believer of you pay for what you get... however i am also a firm believer of you should avoid "made for" tax... like if it has the words REEF in front, and they charge more..

Reef tax is almost as bad as Gamer tax.... but not on the level of audiophile tax, which is in a catigory of its own.

99% of vendors are the same on Amazon. You also can’t trust that an item wasn’t opened and returned. You’ll never know if that membrane has been used and swapped. That stuff happens all the time.

My wife literally got a dress the other day that was altered and still had safety pins in it and someone had hemmed it. Said it was new and sealed in the bag.

I’d trust sediment or carbon blocks. I wouldn’t trust a membrane.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

freshwatersystems.com.

Been buying from them for years now. I buy tubing and RO fittings from them, too.

I also only use Dow Filmtec membranes but membranes always seem to last forever. I don't replace them unless I've moved, didn't setup the RO filter right away, and didn't make any effort to preserve the membrane properly.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember where I bought my carbon and sediment filters. I've been running one of these membranes without issues.

Screenshot_20240413-132612.png
This. I've been using the Amazon stuff for years with no issues. I'm still achieving 96% rejection from the 'cheap' 150gpd membranes and the cheap sediment/carbon filters are fine. The chloramine filter is expensive no matter where you source it as been my experience. I also buy my mixed bed resin from them as well, outside of buying massive amounts or finding it on clearance, price is consistent and the color actually changes (when it exhaust) as it supposed to.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back