0   0   0
1707523558037.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've still got a long ways to go on the "pest algae" species, so I may well be wrong, but the early stages of chrysophytes would be my guess too.

Any chance you could get some microscope pics of some of it?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's just new white rock fuzz, get some trochus snails and give it time, you could scrub it once a week with a tooth brush to make it easier for the snails but that's pretty standard fuzzzzz.

luckily I've gone to war with chrysophytes and can say 99% sure that's not what you have yet :) that stuff is worse than dinos imo :(

OP
OP
B

Braveheart!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drew Turner (Bulk Reef Supply)

Apr 5, 2024, 9:17 AM CDT

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to us! That white hairy fuzz could either be a fungus or a bacterial outbreak. To tell the difference you can take a part of it off the rock with your hands and dip it or smear it with methylene blue. If it is fungus then it will stain blue, if it is bacteria it will not be stained at all. If it is fungus then you can order some antifungal treatments like PrimaFix. If it is bacterial then a UV sterilizer might be needed to eradicate it. If you have any other quesitons please let me know!

Regards,
Aperture Support Group

OP
OP
B

Braveheart!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I used PrimaFix for seven days. At first I thought it maybe helping a little, but my conclusion it had little to no effect. All my fish lived, my corals weren't happy but survived, my snails weren't happy and a few turned over and died.

Next step - My current system had a Aquatop Submersible UV Sterilizer on it. (In the Sump). I have replaced that with a inline 25 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer - Black Body - Aqua Ultraviolet.

OP
OP
B

Braveheart!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I went away on Vacation for a week. (A week after the Primafix experiment) My Phosphate and Nitrate numbers jumped. My guess is using PrimaFix killed some of the good bacteria (or something that helped control phosphate and Nitrate levels in my reef tank). At this point I wouldn't use Primafix again. I have my Phosphate down to .03 and Nitrate >.02. (Many water changes). As far as for the unknown growth it is worse than ever. Mostly on the underside and side of the rock work but growing. NEXT Plan of attack - is to start Carbon dosing (slowly 20 ML daily for a 90 gallon tank) to see if that helps or hurts. I think I have to get and keep my Phosphate and Nitrate very low, but above zero. I hoping that will starve and kill it. I also just added a 25 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer. Any input or ideas. I'm also researching hydrogen peroxide dosing.

Thanks

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid using chemical fix. It always worsen the problem. Chemical always kill a lot more that what you intended to kill.
Try to set up a tank with great biodiversity. This is what help keep it stable.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any input or ideas.
My input would be to get a decent microscope, take some microscope pics of the stuff you're dealing, then take those pics and post them in the nuisance algae forum here on R2R so someone can hopefully tell you exactly what you're dealing with to give you some direction on how to get rid of it.

An example of a relatively cheap microscope that should work:
The nuisance algae forum:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back