API General Cure

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add to this thread that the solubility of neat praziquantel is about 400 mg/l in water. Indeed this value might be a bit lower in salt water, but still there should be no issues dissolving the necessary 2 mg/l.

Best,
Christoph

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread @Humblefish . I was going to purchase prazi pro but was trying to figure out the best way to prophylacticly treat new fish in QT for brook without having to use a third medication.

So my QT plan for new fish is General Cure instead of prazipro, then 30 days of coppersafe with a 5-7 day ramp up. Hoping this will avoid "healthy looking fish" from bringing in any unwanted illnesses.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I found this thread because it has some great info.

Does this sound like a good plan for QT'ing new arrivals (prophylacticly treating, no active infections)?

1.) Receive and acclimate the fish to the non-medicated QT
2.) Wait a few days until the fish starts eating
3.) Dose CP at 40mg/gal
4.) After 18-20 days, add a first dose of API GC
5.) 5 days later, add another dose
6.) After 28-30 days (if all seems well) remove the healthy disease fish into the DT

This way adding carbon and water changes at the end will be avoided as the QT should be drained after anyway. It also lessens the time an active fish (tang, etc) will be exposed to the stress of being in a too small QT (unless someone is using a 6 foot QT).

Obviously, this is all assuming that the fish is acting healthy and eating normally at the end of the treatment.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or would it be better to dose the GC earlier and redose the exchange water with CP. The only issue I see with this is that you are not adding carbon after the second dose. I don't know how important that is because the prazi is only effective for a short time.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does this sound like a good plan for QT'ing new arrivals (prophylacticly treating, no active infections)?

3.) Dose CP at 40mg/gal
6.) After 28-30 days (if all seems well) remove the healthy disease fish into the DT

This way adding carbon and water changes at the end will be avoided as the QT should be drained after anyway. It also lessens the time an active fish (tang, etc) will be exposed to the stress of being in a too small QT (unless someone is using a 6 foot QT).

Obviously, this is all assuming that the fish is acting healthy and eating normally at the end of the treatment.

Ideally, you would transfer into a non medicated tank for observation (about two weeks) to be sure no bacterial infections pop up and to be sure the QT treatments worked. That's ideal of course. You can remove the meds from the QT and leave them in there for observation of course.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It says to add the second dose 48 hours later. The consensus is 5 days later. Then do a 25% wc and add carbon

Adding carbon would be to remove any residual meds in the water. I don't see that it's necessary to do that. A water change would be fine. You do want to be sure to do the doses 5-7 days apart with a water change in between to remove any dead flukes before they foul the water.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3.) Dose CP at 40mg/gal

If you have enough supply of CP then sounds like good idea, you will get rid or ich, velvet, and flukes which are one of the most common and deadly parasites.
Be sure to use pharmaceutical grade CP with high purity.
Also be careful with which fish is sensitive to cp, like wrasse, hippo, etc.

Also agree with @melypr1985 about observation tank, do two weeks with no meds so that if any symptoms appear you can start treatment immediately without the hassle involve of catching fish in tank and risk cross contamination.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Randy. I've used General Cure in the past, and I could smell the praziquantel in the water for days afterwards. I realize that doesn't necessarily mean it all dissolved, but I also didn't see any powder on the bottom of the tank.

I have been using the GC in my 2 QT tanks. I opened up the packet and poured it into the top of the HOB figuring it would better disperse the medication. I did notice that I could see some powder on the bottom of the tank but the next day it was pretty much (but not completely) all gone.

In the larger QT I tried to mix the GC in the 5 gallon bucket with the water change water. It seemed like it was floating on the top of the bucket but after I dumped it in I can see very little on the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone else seen similar results? Also, if I WAS to mix it with ethanol (I have a couple bottles of 190 proof (95%) Everclear) I can use, but how much should I use? I don't want to overdose ethanol.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the GC in my 2 QT tanks. I opened up the packet and poured it into the top of the HOB figuring it would better disperse the medication. I did notice that I could see some powder on the bottom of the tank but the next day it was pretty much (but not completely) all gone.

In the larger QT I tried to mix the GC in the 5 gallon bucket with the water change water. It seemed like it was floating on the top of the bucket but after I dumped it in I can see very little on the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone else seen similar results? Also, if I WAS to mix it with ethanol (I have a couple bottles of 190 proof (95%) Everclear) I can use, but how much should I use? I don't want to overdose ethanol.

I can't claim credit for this technique myself, as I got it from @stunreefer: "Place (powder) praziquantel into brine shrimp net, partially submerge, gently knead so fine particles drift out into the aquarium. Continue until all has been expressed into the water."

This technique should be equally effective for dispersing GC.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question... I'm about to add GC to my QT with about 9 gallons of water already treated with CP (quarantining two Ocellaris clowns). Unfortunately, the instructions are 1 packet per 10 gallons, and I can't find weights anywhere. Is this gentle enough to dump the whole packet in my 9 gallons (9 gallons actual water)?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to do it manually to remove around 10% or 1/10 of the medication out. But I dont think it will make that of a big difference, just watch out for bacterial bloom and make sure to supply enough oxygen.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question... I'm about to add GC to my QT with about 9 gallons of water already treated with CP (quarantining two Ocellaris clowns). Unfortunately, the instructions are 1 packet per 10 gallons, and I can't find weights anywhere. Is this gentle enough to dump the whole packet in my 9 gallons (9 gallons actual water)?
I'm treating a 55 gal so I put in 5 1/2 packets. I think it is close enough.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! My biggest fear was removing too much. I ended up weighing and then removing some, gauging on weight. I only have a 200g digital scale so I use a beaker and tare weight. These weights were so small, and skin oil on the beaker can even affect the weight so I was afraid to remove the full 10% by weight but I did remove around 5% so I've got some wiggle room. I also tried the @stunreefer method but with my small fish net (pretty fine mesh). That worked very well to the point I never saw a single pellet anywhere in the tank. I actually got a little nervous about the mushed-up powder remaining in the net so I swished back and forth for a few minutes and am leaving the net in the tank for awhile.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have either of you used tetra parasite guard?

No first hand experience, but I've read it contains: Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole and Acriflavine. I don't know the concentrations, however.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back