Aptaisia among my Zoas. Helpful Hints Needed

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Zoa rock of Dragon eyes. The rock is small and can be removed. There is one Aptaisia in the center and it is bothering the surrounding Zoas. I do have a few Aptaisia in the tank, never get too big and seem to come and go. This is not a new thing so I do not concern myself with it. I just so happened to put a small Peppermint shrimp in last week. I do not want to possibly hurt the surrounding Zoas by some of the traditional methods ( Kalk paste, lemon juice, etc) I am inclined to just let it be until what ever usually takes care of the Aptaisa does its thing or put the rock in an acclimation box with the peppermint, but I have to catch him first... just putting this out there in case someone has some experience and a brilliant solution.
Thanks!

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp in acclimation box works really well. And if you are precise, alk or lemon juice will work and the zoa will recover nicely. You can always take rock out of tank into a bowl of water, wait for aiptasia to open, inject it, wait 5 mins, and rinse rock to remove as much alk paste as possible to minimize damage to zoa.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp in acclimation box works really well. And if you are precise, alk or lemon juice will work and the zoa will recover nicely. You can always take rock out of tank into a bowl of water, wait for aiptasia to open, inject it, wait 5 mins, and rinse rock to remove as much alk paste as possible to minimize damage to zoa.
Thanks,
The Aptaisia is still small, so I would not be that precise...lol. I wish Peppermint shrimp were still in season I would just get another and throw both in the box. But that would be the easy button... :D

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berghia will eat around the zoas. If you use some type of kalk based solution or superglue, you my get it on a couple of polyps but they usually fill in just fine.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hit them with aptasia x

Ya, it's honestly quite easy. Just annoy the heads around the aptasia, hit them with x, then if you want to be very careful you can blow any aptasia x off the surrounding polyp heads if there is spillover. I don't think I've lost a head yet through many applications.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t update. But it is gone now. I did put a tiny peppermint shrimp in there, might have been him. But in all my tanks, I will have a aptasia pop up here or there, but then one day it will just be gone. I have yet to see what takes them out.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t update. But it is gone now. I did put a tiny peppermint shrimp in there, might have been him. But in all my tanks, I will have a aptasia pop up here or there, but then one day it will just be gone. I have yet to see what takes them out.
I use a wisdom tooth brush-basically a tiny round toothbrush & scrub them out when spotted.just a case of whackamole when you spot one of the little rotters sporadically

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always pull the rock, scrape off the bugger and put some reef safe super glue on the spot. The key is to tackle them as soon as you notice one!

I don't even bother scraping them off. Just buy them alive with a few drops of super glue gel. If you get some on the polyps they'll bounce back quickly.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back