Aqua Apothecary: Do you dose these elements into your reef aquarium?

Do you dose these elements into your reef? (select all that apply)

• Carbon

Votes: 114 37.6%
  • Nitrogen

Votes: 55 18.2%
  • Magnesium

Votes: 217 71.6%
  • Phosphorus

Votes: 55 18.2%
  • Potassium

Votes: 81 26.7%
  • Calcium

Votes: 252 83.2%
  • Manganese

Votes: 103 34.0%
  • Iron

Votes: 92 30.4%

• Total voters

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Apothecary: Do you dose these elements into your reef aquarium?

Randy Holmes-Farley, chemist and R2R expert contributor, recently posted a couple of articles on dosing trace elements and what elements to dose and what not to dose. While many reef keepers dose some elements into their reef tank, they may not necessarily dose all the necessary elements. The following is a list of recommended elements to dose if the levels are sufficiently low: carbon, nitrogen, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, manganese, and iron. Do you dose these elements into your reef? Please let us know about your experience with dosing elements into your reef and feel free to share any tips or recommendation in the related discussion!
Randy Element Dosing Recommendations 3_Page_1.jpg

Image by @Randy Holmes-Farley

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"
why is iodine mentioned ?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all AFR which keeps alk rock solid but does not give enough magnesium, iodine or manganese so have to dose those seperatley as well as sodium carbonate in my ATO so as to use less AFR which tends to run the calcium up high. Magnesium tends to get used up quite a bit in my system. If i dont test for a few weeks it will drop below 1200 and i can see my euphelia looking rough. Its not testing either as i use salifert compared with regular icp testing and shows the same.
1200 -1250 is fine not need more, that is sea level, calcium run only high if you have your kh over 7.5 with it or not sps

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back