Aqua Apothecary: Do you dose these elements into your reef aquarium?

Do you dose these elements into your reef? (select all that apply)

• Carbon

Votes: 114 37.6%
  • Nitrogen

Votes: 55 18.2%
  • Magnesium

Votes: 217 71.6%
  • Phosphorus

Votes: 55 18.2%
  • Potassium

Votes: 81 26.7%
  • Calcium

Votes: 252 83.2%
  • Manganese

Votes: 103 34.0%
  • Iron

Votes: 92 30.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aqua Apothecary: Do you dose these elements into your reef aquarium?

Randy Holmes-Farley, chemist and R2R expert contributor, recently posted a couple of articles on dosing trace elements and what elements to dose and what not to dose. While many reef keepers dose some elements into their reef tank, they may not necessarily dose all the necessary elements. The following is a list of recommended elements to dose if the levels are sufficiently low: carbon, nitrogen, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, manganese, and iron. Do you dose these elements into your reef? Please let us know about your experience with dosing elements into your reef and feel free to share any tips or recommendation in the related discussion!
Randy Element Dosing Recommendations 3_Page_1.jpg

Image by @Randy Holmes-Farley

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked magnesium, and I’ll add more if the voting buttons are fixed. Also add calcium, potassium, iodide, plus a 4 part microelement 2x week.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the ReefMoonshiner's program so I dose all elements, more than listed above.

I know there is debate on which minor trace elements are needed in our tanks and which aren't, but I'd rather just keep everything at nsw levels which removes that whole set of variables.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all AFR which keeps alk rock solid but does not give enough magnesium, iodine or manganese so have to dose those seperatley as well as sodium carbonate in my ATO so as to use less AFR which tends to run the calcium up high. Magnesium tends to get used up quite a bit in my system. If i dont test for a few weeks it will drop below 1200 and i can see my euphelia looking rough. Its not testing either as i use salifert compared with regular icp testing and shows the same.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 5 things normally:

**B Ionic 2 part Cal/Alk which I think has all trace elements also.
*Nitrate
*Phosphate
*Silica

I wonder, does B Ionic or All For Reef have higher trace elements like Magnesium. My Magnesium has been slightly low around 1150-1200 for a while now. I really don’t want to dose more things I already maxed out my 5 channel doser.

If All For Reef has higher of trace, I could dose it once a week and that would lower the amount of b ionic calcium alkalinity 2 part I’d dose?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Reef Moonshiner Method, so I dose all of these with the exception of phosphates (And nitrates are only when they bottom out). I also dose many more elements on an as needed basis.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, to those that don't dose potassium, I'd recommend adding it to your testing and dosing of the big 3 of Calcium, Mg, and Alk. Its pretty critical to a number of biological processes and a fair number of tanks tend to be deficient in it (Speaking from past experience). Only dose it if you're gonna test for it, though.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so surprised that 38% dose carbon. I did that once and got dinos but I am sure I over did it!

I am so stoked about this and will be reading the Randy Holmes Farley articles. I have been thinking of dosing Iodine, trace elements and amino acids. I am surprised those wert some of the options. The only other thing besides the standard alk, mag and calcium is MB7 and DR Tims refresh!

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only dose what I can monitor. Calcium, Alk, Mag, SG and I add salt directly to the sump filter sock when the salt runs low from the Skimmer pulling out waste water. I guess I might have a little unbalance on minor trace elements. But, until I send a new ICP test to see where I am with those elements, I prefer not to dose anything just by eye balling, like trace elements or what ever any other supplements that might be low.
By the way, I run a no water change 185 gal Tank almost on cruise control.:cool::thinking-face::upside-down-face::winking-face-with-tongue::zany-face:

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back