Aqua Controller via Raspberry PI

ttabbal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, but nobody seems to be able to get something going. The first thing you need to decide on is sensors. Float switches are easy, and you can have as many as you want with a basic multiplexer chip if you need more. The more complex sensors like ph, salinity, etc get trickier. You need a list people can just buy everything from. Preferably in the US/EU. Direct from China is a pain for people. To make those probes work, you usually need some electronics. So you need to source those as well.

Things like relay controlled outlets are easy to build, but to sell them requires certification with UL/CE. That can get expensive. I think you could provide kits.

I'm a programmer with EE experience. I could design it. I haven't for those reasons and partly because I can't figure out why I want one enough to pay for one, let alone design one. It seems like most places I read about controllers did lighting programs. Meh, I'm ok with the $20 timer power strip for that. My fish don't need nanosecond precision light timing.

I can see usefulness in sending alerts based on things like the skimmer being full, or the ATO being empty. Not sure about RODI filters. How would you sense that? Or just an alert every 6 months? I can use Google Calendar for that...

The pi zero kinda sucks for connecting to the Internet. No networking built in. Sure, usb, but if you want anything else you need to add a hub.. If you can get by with just a wifi adapter on usb, maybe. And it's certainly cheap, if they can ever keep them in stock.

So... Convince me, you might get a developer out of it...

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the main reasons the project hasn't developed much is because when you get down to it, there isn't a ton of value over a system like the Apex or Reefkeeper.

I had a pi system based on the ReefPi project for a few months. I had a breakout board connected to some float switches, temp probe, a PID controller, some SSRs and some physical relays to control dosers and lights. I hadn't gotten to much in the way of alarms, but I could connect via ssh and check on it whenever and everything was pretty well automated.

pH and conductivity were next on my list, followed by a leak detector, but I got to the point where my time and the materials were rapidly approaching what it would cost to bite the bullet for an Apex.

While it was pricey, it's by far the best $800 I've spent on my tank.

Now, my pi is used solely for viewing my tank remotely. My next project is hooking up the camera to a tiny servo so I can pan the camera.

Also, fwiw, while the Pi zero is great in theory, for a reef controller, save yourself the trouble and just get a Pi 2. The extra $20-30 gets you an extra 512 RAM, quad-core vs single core processor, 4 full sized usb ports, and an ethernet port (among other things). I think they both have the same GPIO pins, but seriously, the $30 bucks is more than worth it - especially if you plan to connect via ssh.

I'll still follow along, and can possibly help/contribute along the way, but it's unlikely you'll get much in the way of contributors. I do like the idea of a scaled down pi controller for a little biocube or nanotank, but until I have use for one, it's just a fun idea.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I dont know if you all are still working on it, but I enjoyed reading through all your thoughts/progress. I agree a DIY controller might never be as good as a professional ones , for mass consumption, but it has a different value from customizability stand point, and from learning standpoint. Let me know if any of your project needs any coding help, I am happy to lend a hand wherever I can.
I also maintain a raspberry pi based controller, build thread is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...spberry-pi-based-reef-tank-controller.289256/ , in case you want to collaborate

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back