Aqueon 75 Gallon Tank TEMPURED GLASS. DONT DRILL

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Yall,

I wanted to make this post to hopefully keep someone from making the same mistake as me!

I bought a Aqueon 75 gallon and when I tried to drill in through the back panel it exploded! I thought just the bottom was tempered, but looks like it was the front, back, and bottom panels. The two small side panels were normal glass.

1707161378603.png

Don't make the same mistake as me!

Aquarium Link:

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Yall,

I wanted to make this post to hopefully keep someone from making the same mistake as me!

I bought a Aqueon 75 gallon and when I tried to drill in through the back panel it exploded! I thought just the bottom was tempered, but looks like it was the front, back, and bottom panels. The two small side panels were normal glass.

1707161378603.png

Don't make the same mistake as me!

Aquarium Link:

Aqueon states on their site that they cannot guarantee that the glass will or will not be tempered. The only panel they guarantee is tempered is the bottom on the 75. You always need to test it first with the cell phone/polarized sunglasses trick first. My Aqueon 75's back panel wasn't tempered and drilled just fine.

JayD976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sunglasses trick and every panel blacked out including the bottom which makes no sense because that is supposed to be tempered. Even has a warning sticker “do not drill glass enclosure”. So can’t really trust that method it seems.

Or I may just have sh*tty polarized glasses because I tried a control on my truck windows which are 1000% tempered and that blacked out too. Soo idk

JayD976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I got lucky with my 75g Aqueon.. drilled 4 holes in it.
I’m so tempted to give it a try but at the same time I don’t want to replace a perfectly good tank for no reason if it doesn’t work out because I’m inpatient lol. My tank is from 2017.

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sunglasses trick and every panel blacked out including the bottom which makes no sense because that is supposed to be tempered. Even has a warning sticker “do not drill glass enclosure”. So can’t really trust that method it seems.

Or I may just have sh*tty polarized glasses because I tried a control on my truck windows which are 1000% tempered and that blacked out too. Soo idk
I'd try another pair of sunglasses. I found a polarized pair around the house by looking at my car windows until one of them gave me the lines on my car windows.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try another pair of sunglasses. I found a polarized pair around the house by looking at my car windows until one of them gave me the lines on my car windows.
Same.
I drilled mine but took glasses to the store and went through 3 tanks and inspected them. Build quality also differs a ton on aqueon tanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back