Are T5 lights still superior to LED?

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone is selling a 48” aquatic life 6 bulb fixture for $125. Currently running 2 Maxspect 65w lights and I love them. Grows coral well and great color.

But it got me thinking. For the price (fixture and 6 bulbs) would it better to go to T5 and just resell my lights? Are T5s still the king of the lighting world?

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get umpteen reasons for and against them, but if your tank is doing fine the question I'd ask is: why?
Was looking around my local reef club FB marketplace page and saw the T5 fixture I mentioned. I remember watching BRS gush about T5/LED combos and just want some more info before I make any decision.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then the fight started... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Absolutely the best lights you can have for a reef! Bar none! Just joking. T5 is on its way out. Bulbs will become not available in the future. I believe t5 is the best lights for someone that doesn't want to think about his lighting just turn on and forget. Although your fixture comes with bulbs they will more than likely need replacement bulbs right away. And every 8 months to a year. So in the long run not really that cost effective. Btw I run t5 on my main display.

Last edited:

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's are excellent and I 100% noticed more growth when I added some to supplements my leds. That fixture might be a good purchase if all you care about is growth, but the leds will give the best color for sure. According to BRS the LED bars have a better spread than T5's so that might be something to look at aswell. https://www.quantareef.com/quanta-pro

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency and Stability > Any Specific Type of Light

The bigger issue is taking some piece of SPS that has adapted to the exact spectrum of a specific T5 light and bringing it home and putting it under LEDs with different gaps in spectrum, or vice versa.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to say what's better,all it it is just someones opinions, nothing more.
But I started with LED's then switch to t5' then switched to MH.
Here is what I'll say about it. I wish I started with MH, from beginning.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all forms of lighting over the years. Still have an almost new 6 bulb Giesemann T5 that I cant sell, lol.
I will never run T5's again.
I sold most of my halides too and will never use them again for reefing.
Led, T5, Halides, all grow healthy coral easily if you know what your doing. Its not the light!
They are all different ways of doing the same thing.
So pic one and focus on stabilty and you cant go wrong.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two local guys that supply most of the aquacultured coral for my area both run full LED setups. I think one of the guys might have supplemental actinics on his drag systems to reduce shadowing.

It seems to me, and keep in mind my brain is the size of a walnut, that both work well but with some sps, there are big advantages to adding some T5s for coverage.

LEDs seem to be the cooler, cheaper option in terms of $/PAR or else the farmers wouldn’t be using them.

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely the best lights you can have for a reef! Bar none! Just joking. T5 is on its way out. Bulbs will become not available in the future. I believe t5 is the best lights for someone that doesn't want to think about his lighting just turn on and forget. Although your fixture comes with bulbs they will more than likely need replacement bulbs right away. And every 8 months to a year. So in the long run not really that cost effective. Btw I run t5 on my main display.
I was hearing bulbs are not going to be avl since 2013 ……. I love my ati fixture 6 bulb t5 , EVERY coral seems to love it no matter what coral it is (hard) (easy) they all seem very pleased , sold all my radions and got this fixture and man let me tell you after watching coral euphoria on YouTube , THIS HAS BEEN THE BEST LIGHT FOR ME!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two local guys that supply most of the aquacultured coral for my area both run full LED setups. I think one of the guys might have supplemental actinics on his drag systems to reduce shadowing.

It seems to me, and keep in mind my brain is the size of a walnut, that both work well but with some sps, there are big advantages to adding some T5s for coverage.

LEDs seem to be the cooler, cheaper option in terms of $/PAR or else the farmers wouldn’t be using them.
Downside if their is one is you just need more leds to get rid of shadowing. I would use Orphek or Quanta bars over any T5 in todays world. 1 bar equals 2 T5's.
1 Quanta bar on my 80g running 4 gen 5 blues gives me an addional 100 par.
Point is they all work so run what you like. 95% of all lfs run leds so.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downside if their is one is you just need more leds to get rid of shadowing. I would use Orphek or Quanta bars over any T5 in todays world. 1 bar equals 2 T5's.
1 Quanta bar on my 80g running 4 gen 5 blues gives me an addional 100 par.
Point is they all work so run what you like. 95% of all lfs run leds so.
I don't think I can get Quantas here in Canada, but I have been looking closely at Reefbrite XHO's.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back