Are T5 lights still superior to LED?

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone is selling a 48” aquatic life 6 bulb fixture for $125. Currently running 2 Maxspect 65w lights and I love them. Grows coral well and great color.

But it got me thinking. For the price (fixture and 6 bulbs) would it better to go to T5 and just resell my lights? Are T5s still the king of the lighting world?
Bro they both work great depending on high you apply them. They both have pros and cons. I will be using the aquatic life hybrid fixture where I can get the flat t5 spread from the lights and then the strong efficient led light from my Radions. Both is best

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s stop the debate and all agree that whether it’s a MH, a T5 or an LED, a photon is a photon.
The great problem with that statement is that not every light source will actually emit the very same photons. Specially if they are totally different in so many physical aspects! Good try.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal halide is the king. Every king needs a beautiful queen, and that's the T5. And yes, every good kingdom needs the joker.

Seriously... T5s will give you amazing results of growth colors and colony formation!! IMO way better than any LED available for most applications over shallow water tanks, under 24" high. Cover the whole surface area of the tank. Forget the fashion of PAR at once! Have the best tank you ever had growing Acros and clams! Change bulbs every 12 months.
I’m addition ….
What’s your suggestion for t5’s over 24”
Deep ?
Best to add or supplement but still get good growth ?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m addition ….
What’s your suggestion for t5’s over 24”
Deep ?
Best to add or supplement but still get good growth ?
Over 24" deep you will need to go halides/T5s for optimal results IMO, if you like the results I like. If you like LEDs you should just get LEDs then, of course. Go to the local shop and see what you like in terms of aesthetics of the LEDs. Most LEDs will give you those results we all know. The more money you spend to make sure you cover the surface area of the tank, the better, generally speaking. See the example of Keith (ReefBum). He covers that tank with those Mitras. That's the way to go with LEDs too. Unless you keep the corals on the top of the rocks within the 24" range, then you can have a t5 only fixture.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two local guys that supply most of the aquacultured coral for my area both run full LED setups. I think one of the guys might have supplemental actinics on his drag systems to reduce shadowing.

It seems to me, and keep in mind my brain is the size of a walnut, that both work well but with some sps, there are big advantages to adding some T5s for coverage.

LEDs seem to be the cooler, cheaper option in terms of $/PAR or else the farmers wouldn’t be using them.
They’re sponsored by the LED brands.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are shills that get free units to rep for LED companies. Some of them did not switch until they got free units and most of them will tell you that they would not be using them if they did not get free stuff - go to some trade shows and have a conversation. I got offered free units to say nice things about a certain company and their brands. If you see a large shop with 30-50+ units, chances are that they did not pay for many, if all, of them - anybody think that a reefing store has $50K laying around to not save any electricity costs (most of them do not)? Some also get better than MAP markup if they shill.

Not all companies do this, so do not assume. Some use what they want to use.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are shills that get free units to rep for LED companies. Some of them did not switch until they got free units and most of them will tell you that they would not be using them if they did not get free stuff - go to some trade shows and have a conversation. I got offered free units to say nice things about a certain company and their brands. If you see a large shop with 30-50+ units, chances are that they did not pay for many, if all, of them - anybody think that a reefing store has $50K laying around to not save any electricity costs (most of them do not)? Some also get better than MAP markup if they shill.

Bingo. It’s interesting when store owners get all weird and defensive when I throw out the idea of them running just one display or frag tank with metal halide or T5.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn’t call them names - why should they pay for hardware if they don’t have to? They’re operating a business after all, and nearly any light will grow coral. But it is illegal in many countries to obfuscate sponsorship. Unfortunately, it’s incredibly common in this hobby to do just that, for some reason (especially among the commercial operations).

That being said, retail MAP is 50-60% and distributor markup is 15-25% so if they do purchase, they’re getting them for about 25-35 cents on the dollar.

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some pics that I shot today.
all of this under ATI 10×54w.
no LED's , only 10 T5 Bulbs.
Also, those picture was footage without filter.

Attachments

• 20230724_160352.jpg
    20230724_160352.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230724_160309.jpg
    20230724_160309.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230724_155834.jpg
    20230724_155834.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230724_155709.jpg
    20230724_155709.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230724_160216.jpg
    20230724_160216.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 30

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back