Are T5 lights still superior to LED?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandis, repeatedly posting the musings of 2-3 hard line people who only agree with your opinion, while ignoring experts and professionals in the field which have a more moderate stance on the issue based on a career of experience is the best example of confirmation bias I’ve seen on this forum.
Funniest thing is actually in the vid above where " reefbum" comments about how successful his Mitras are.
First he switched his peninsula tank to them.
Later posted a vid where he stated he was going to stick w/ mh's for his display tank only to now shift it to Mitras and liking it.
All " on file"
ACTUALLY it was a different video I believe.

But please completely ignore that .
/S

Yea wasn't using t5's

It's like having only one eye open..

(Snip)

Also often ignored is farms have MANY needs/wants differences than a single hobbyists tank which is acknowledged in the video.
1:00-ish.. for " farming"...
Sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which T5 fixture were you using?
I’ve owned an ATI and a Sunblaster. Usually replace the bulbs at 12 months although the science says it should happen at 9. Greatly reduced shadows but I fet kind of bad, especially with 6-8 bulbs on the ATI units.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grandis, repeatedly posting the musings of 2-3 hard line people who only agree with your opinion, while ignoring experts and professionals in the field which have a more moderate stance on the issue based on a career of experience is the best example of confirmation bias I’ve seen on this forum.
We all have the tendency of admiring the people who are looking for the same results we are. You can do the same! The aesthetics also counts, of course. Some people hate the flat look of T5s, some people just can't bear with the heat of halides and lots of people love to play with their phones changing the spectrum and intensity using LEDs. It's ll about what everyone is looking for in the end, don't you agree? I am looking for the health of the animals in the first place and IMO the T5s will deliver a much better light than any LED in the market today. If Chis is also looking for that, AND genuinely have the results that I like, and can proof, yeah, I will go further and exam what he is doing. His corals IMO are amazing and very healthy. When a guy like Chris come and say that he is removing those LEDs that are so called to be the ones to SUBSTITUTE T5s, and tell us the difference is HUGE in colors... now things get to another level, don't you agree? Only if you want to achieve what he is looking for! So many people absolutely love the results WWC has, then get those EcoTechRadions. They are what many call the "best" of the LEDs. Some LED users hate Radions! Look for the results you want and use those lights. We are all giving our opinions. You will never convince me that any LED today will indeed substitute T5s for any reason, man. They are different technologies and will present different results. If Tullio didn't make it, nobody will! LOL!
Confirmation bias is just like measuring PAR... a LED thing. LOL!

Please post your examples of experts and professionals that use LEDs and say those are better than T5s (the main subject of this thread) and are NEUTRAL, not sponsored, cause no one is holding you, my friend.

Last edited:

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5's are excellent and I 100% noticed more growth when I added some to supplements my leds. That fixture might be a good purchase if all you care about is growth, but the leds will give the best color for sure. According to BRS the LED bars have a better spread than T5's so that might be something to look at aswell. https://www.quantareef.com/quanta-pro
Quanta Pro are the best reef bars ive used ATI blue/plus spec , i use them to supplement my main led lights.pic with 2 x quana's and a reef factory blue plus along the front main leds off

Attachments

• DSC_1219 rh side corals.JPG
    DSC_1219 rh side corals.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 34

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funniest thing is actually in the vid above where " reefbum" comments about how successful his Mitras are.
First he switched his peninsula tank to them.
Later posted a vid where he stated he was going to stick w/ mh's for his display tank only to now shift it to Mitras and liking it.
All " on file"
ACTUALLY it was a different video I believe.

But please completely ignore that .
/S

Yea wasn't using t5's

It's like having only one eye open..

(Snip)

Also often ignored is farms have MANY needs/wants differences than a single hobbyists tank which is acknowledged in the video.
1:00-ish.. for " farming"...
Sorry couldn't resist.
To resist is something very hard sometimes... that's ok..

He is a farmer and spent lot's of money on those LEDs. The Mitras are now "better" than halides! LOL! He also sells those LEDs. I think he will get more money selling Mitras than ReefBrite cause people want LEDs today? He is a great guy and he is my friend! His corals are growing faster than under his 400W halides. He is doing lot's of kalk (too much IMO) and he has a good amount of nutrients. Does that mean that is the way to go now with pH 8.5? Maybe! If his LEDs are better, his colonies should look better. Is that the case? Many think so. If so, Mitras is the new trend and the best LEDs for everyone? Maybe! Magical LEDs. Maybe I should try Mitras... He is sponsored by Ecotech and is using Mitras. So most likely Mitras should be a better LED than Radion!
Most "farms" are about sponsorship and making money saving electricity, if they can deal with lower quality products.
Lower quality is very relative too... if they can make frags and sell them for profit is all they need to keep going, that is what is the best. And that is fine!
If hobbyists are looking for that type of success, why get halides or T5s?
Just get the Mitras everyone!

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have the tendency of admiring the people who are looking for the same results we are. You can do the same! The aesthetics also counts, of course. Some people hate the flat look of T5s, some people just can't bear with the heat of halides and lots of people love to play with their phones changing the spectrum and intensity using LEDs. It's ll about what everyone is looking for in the end, don't you agree? I am looking for the health of the animals in the first place and IMO the T5s will deliver a much better light than any LED in the market today. If Chis is also looking for that, AND genuinely have the results that I like, and can proof, yeah, I will go further and exam what he is doing. His corals IMO are amazing and very healthy. When a guy like Chris come and say that he is removing those LEDs that are so called to be the ones to SUBSTITUTE T5s, and tell us the difference is HUGE in colors... now things get to another level, don't you agree? Only if you want to achieve what he is looking for! So many people absolutely love the results WWC has, then get those EcoTechRadions. They are what many call the "best" of the LEDs. Some LED users hate Radions! Look for the results you want and use those lights. We are all giving our opinions. You will never convince me that any LED today will indeed substitute T5s for any reason, man. They are different technologies and will present different results. If Tullio didn't make it, nobody will! LOL!
Confirmation bias is just like measuring PAR... a LED thing. LOL!

Please post your examples of experts and professionals that use LEDs and say those are better than T5s (the main subject of this thread) and are NEUTRAL, not sponsored, cause no one is holding you, my friend.

I won’t post examples of people saying leds are superior. You are deducing that conclusion despite the fact that I never said it. I was actually very careful to specify a “moderate” stance. As in neutral. I don’t believe one or the other to be universally superior. Search my posts. Read the words themselves. Don’t misinterpret. It’s not a contest.

Saying t5 or metal halide is not “king” doesn’t automatically mean I think an alternative IS (besides sunlight).

I’m going to leave chris out of my reply beyond what I’m saying here. If I elaborate I’ll likely get a swat on the wrist by the mods, as I don’t have anything nice to say.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good conspiracy .
Like when there were dozens of mh bulb brands all claiming to be the " best...
;)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ain’t broken , break it . Kidding :cool:
If you like the results of what you have why change ?
I personally like both but one day possibly soon it might be hard to find replacement bulbs if and when they may get banned. If you already had t5s I’d stick with them and buy a lifetime supply of bulbs and replacement parts . If you already have LEDS and they are working good for you stick with them . If your asking about experimenting by using both and if you can afford to and it’s what you wish to do ,then go for it . Sounds like a WINN WINN WINN at WINN DIXIE . :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Good luck !!!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many T5 fixtures does it take to light a tank? One.
Depends on the size of the tank in relation to the size fixture you have . But on the other hand if you get one guy on a ladder with wheels holding a 24” t5 unit ,and two guys to push the guy around on the ladder to different locations over the tank then yes you are correct it would only take one . Unless the tank is a mile long and a mile wide lol !! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the tank in relation to the size fixture you have . But on the other hand if you get one guy on a ladder with wheels holding a 24” t5 unit ,and two guys to push the guy around on the ladder to different locations over the tank then yes you are correct it would only take one . Unless the tank is a mile long and a mile wide lol !! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Like I would tell my kids “it will take, as many as it will take”

Glad to see another level headed moderate minded reefer on the matter

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t post examples of people saying leds are superior. You are deducing that conclusion despite the fact that I never said it. I was actually very careful to specify a “moderate” stance. As in neutral. I don’t believe one or the other to be universally superior. Search my posts. Read the words themselves. Don’t misinterpret. It’s not a contest.

Saying t5 or metal halide is not “king” doesn’t automatically mean I think an alternative IS (besides sunlight).

I’m going to leave chris out of my reply beyond what I’m saying here. If I elaborate I’ll likely get a swat on the wrist by the mods, as I don’t have anything nice to say.
Yeah, I got it. I agree about the mods.
Again, just personal opinions anyway. All good.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run metal helides! I wouldn't mind switching back to LED's once the results will be just as good as MH. I think LED's are still 5-10 years away from perfection of what MH offer

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if LEDs would one day give the same results as metal halides they would have to change the name to MH or something like that. LOL! It wouldn't be LEDs anymore. They are way too different and will always have their physical distinctions no matter what, with distinct results. That is the only fault when comparing them both. Either way! If they make another light that would "resemble" metal halides they just couldn't call diodes anymore. Ah, but what about Kessils??? LOL! Well, they are still LEDs. Man, the metal halide is just a hard animal to beat! LOL! With the T5s they gets way out there in the race!!! But I agree that LEDs grow corals just fine!

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s stop the debate and all agree that whether it’s a MH, a T5 or an LED, a photon is a photon.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if LEDs would one day give the same results as metal halides they would have to change the name to MH or something like that. LOL! It wouldn't be LEDs anymore. They are way too different and will always have their physical distinctions no matter what, with distinct results. That is the only fault when comparing them both. Either way! If they make another light that would "resemble" metal halides they just couldn't call diodes anymore. Ah, but what about Kessils??? LOL! Well, they are still LEDs. Man, the metal halide is just a hard animal to beat! LOL! With the T5s they gets way out there in the race!!! But I agree that LEDs grow corals just fine!

Damning with faint praise​

:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back