Are these prices serious? Who buys this stuff?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crazy prices are driven, in part by the Indo ban. Shipping from Australia is very expressive and reflects in coral coming from there. I only hope at some point we see the ban lifted.

In the meantime, it's a local frag farmers market. More common corals sell well through these guys.

I only buy what I like and let it grow into colonies. Fortunately for me, I like more common corals.
That's basically how we shopped. Always liked to see common corals grow and color up.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all about supply and demand. If the prices were too high, the corals wouldn’t sell and vendors would drop their prices to move them. They seem to be doing quite well at current prices so someone is buying them.

Perfect example... I paid $2500 for a one of a kind golden retriever puppy recently and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Most other people would not pay that price for any dog. Supply and demand.

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s worse is buying expensive frags and watching em wither away . Specially buying single poly Zoas [emoji24]

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to see how these sky high prices with coral reflect back into other items in the hobby.

Industry as a whole sees some hobbyists willing to pay at this level and says " if they are buying a these at those prices, they should have the finances to pay more for salt, equipment.......etc"..........

With a uptick in threads on Reef2reef about insanely high coral prices, seeing first hand myself, how does this reflect to potential new hobbyists? I personally can see the negative in this for the hobby.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like any hobby there will be people that can spend way more than others and items to take advantage of those budgets. I can shoot trap with my grandfathers 870 or a Kreighoff K80. Go fishing from the bank or a $80,000 Ranger. Golf at the local city course or be a member of Augusta National.

Metal_Angler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all about supply and demand. If the prices were too high, the corals wouldn’t sell and vendors would drop their prices to move them. They seem to be doing quite well at current prices so someone is buying them.

Perfect example... I paid $2500 for a one of a kind golden retriever puppy recently and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Most other people would not pay that price for any dog. Supply and demand.
Puppy pics are needed.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this is nothing new and I see no negative in the hobby for newbies. When I started in the hobby over 10 years ago there we're expensive corals just like today. I knew my limits and was very realistic in the tank we setup with what we wanted to keep. IMO there are plenty of affordable corals but most want to post on the most colorful colonies and say the prices are ridiculous. Fact is there are plenty of decent priced corals for all to enjoy.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years ago you could also buy huge colonies for $40 and sometimes even less. Even if the ban is lifted those days aren’t coming back.

If the ban is not lifted and new sources of export like Solomon Islands and Malaysia don’t open up and meet supply the prices originally posted in this thread will become the norm.

WWC is name brand so a lot of stuff there will always be more that is what this thread was originally about.

Aquaculture is also always going to be more. Everyone talks about how great aquaculture is and I’m not saying it’s not I would love to have a coral farm myself one day but it too is more resource dependant and costly then importing then even last years Indo pricing.

The bread and butter corals that used to come from Indo and a lesser extent Fiji now have to come from Australia, as already mentioned freight is always going to be more from there. Additionally they are a rich country where no one is going diving with compressors for pennies an hour. Over the years Indo corals got more expensive likely a combination of stores realizing they can charge more but also the suppliers realizing how much more they are being resold for.

The fact that the band just happened and there was no notice also really hurts. Even me as a hobbyist would have bought a ton more coral if I had known this was it. Same goes for places that sold pieces they could have since farmed.

Things are never going back and I suspect pricing will continue to rise, by how much depends almost entirely on supply. If they open up mariculture which can be done much cheaper then aquaculture there is likely more hope for some stabilization.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years ago you could also buy huge colonies for $40 and sometimes even less. Even if the ban is lifted those days aren’t coming back.

If the ban is not lifted and new sources of export like Solomon Islands and Malaysia don’t open up and meet supply the prices originally posted in this thread will become the norm.

WWC is name brand so a lot of stuff there will always be more that is what this thread was originally about.

Aquaculture is also always going to be more. Everyone talks about how great aquaculture is and I’m not saying it’s not I would love to have a coral farm myself one day but it too is more resource dependant and costly then importing then even last years Indo pricing.

The bread and butter corals that used to come from Indo and a lesser extent Fiji now have to come from Australia, as already mentioned freight is always going to be more from there. Additionally they are a rich country where no one is going diving with compressors for pennies an hour. Over the years Indo corals got more expensive likely a combination of stores realizing they can charge more but also the suppliers realizing how much more they are being resold for.

The fact that the band just happened and there was no notice also really hurts. Even me as a hobbyist would have bought a ton more coral if I had known this was it. Same goes for places that sold pieces they could have since farmed.

Things are never going back and I suspect pricing will continue to rise, by how much depends almost entirely on supply. If they open up mariculture which can be done much cheaper then aquaculture there is likely more hope for some stabilization.
I agree for the most part. But even 7 years ago on 3reef I believe, aqua sd had some nice colonies of colorful trachyphyllia for well over 450 dollars on there site and updates on the forum.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I paid more than that for my Dogo Argentino, but I had to buy the stupid thing a plane ticket...... but it is worth noting, that all dogs are "one of a kind" really..... so whatever the breeder tells you, you shouldn't be paying for "one of a kind" you should be paying for conformation, and breeding practices that mitigate inherit medical conditions.

Also I got a Boston Terrier dirt-cheap from an Amish puppy-mill and he's a sweet dog too..... so I have no issue with those who don't want to spend high-dollars on a well bred dog.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to see how these sky high prices with coral reflect back into other items in the hobby.

Industry as a whole sees some hobbyists willing to pay at this level and says " if they are buying a these at those prices, they should have the finances to pay more for salt, equipment.......etc"..........

With a uptick in threads on Reef2reef about insanely high coral prices, seeing first hand myself, how does this reflect to potential new hobbyists? I personally can see the negative in this for the hobby.

I think the equipment prices are already there. That is why Marine Depot started offering the financing option.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my problem. I got out of reefing like 10 years ago, before getting back into it somewhat recently. The current coral/pricing selection honestly makes me sad for the industry. 10-12 years ago was the absolute peak of coral value. The $900 trachy in the first post would've been $60-80. The $480 would've been like $110 because of the yellow/orange splotches. Neon green torches? $15/head.

Love me some protips!!!

Amateurtips? The worst.
I only say protip, because I own two retail businesses in different industries. ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5459a5608d5971698fd77d7299cc9f5f.jpg
fa8293cad229d6087e979ee8f36f15eb.jpg
e122910cda9850785a5a4dd50365657b.jpg

I am literally speechless. Am I missing something. $800 for a single head torch. $500 for an average trach?

The answer - most of the torches are not 800.... Part of it is people (suppliers) taking advantage of the Indonesia Ban - which was where 90% of coral imports into the US was coming (rumor is that its now lifted). This put more pressure on Australia - and now there are 'rumors' that Australia itself is being more legislated. None of this justifies - or4 vilifies the prices above - Perhaps they have a 'better guarantee' than other companies. Etc etc. But in either case - There is little to complain about - They have a product - they are charging a price. Who cares? Don't buy them..

PS - With the Indonesia ban being lifted (as stated) - these prices will likely come down quite a bit.

EDITED - Ban is not lifted - but I read a document saying its close - Now every link says' server not available' lol;:). dont know why.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My client who is a neurologist spends about a 1,000 dollars a week on fish and coral
Is he killing them all - or filling up a swimming pool? This is something I dont see - most of the corals bought as 'frags' grow much much larger. Where does he/she think they will be putting all of this coral?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha it’s a 220 this picture is after I cleaned out about 20 pieces of dead coral. Stuff constantly dies because it’s all piled to close to each other and I do my best to keep everything balanced but it’s tough with how much he adds

F9ACCA1F-ED6B-447C-918D-C2CD324B127C.jpeg

Something is not right here. I would fire that client. When we talk about 'reef husbandry' this is the exact opposite of what people 'should' be doing? Or am I wrong.

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit... a $200 frogspawn is pretty funny. Not that I have the money but I could see myself spending more for specific colors, something deep blue or vivid red. No way am I paying a premium for anything green.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back