Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actinodiscus coerulea - Metallic Blue Mushroom

MetallicBlueMushroom_ActinoCoerulea.jpg

Link:
Metallic Blue Mushroom, Actinodiscus coerulea, Mushroom Coral Information and Corallimorph Pictures

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than going into a lenghty explanation about why magnesium drops in our aquariums due to complex processes that take place in our tanks, and organisms that uptake it such as coralline algae, corals, bacteria etc ... here is a link to an article that goes into great detail about Magnesium, its importance for calcium levels etc ...

BTW when you do water changes you add it back to some extent but how much depends on the brand of salt you are using. I use Red Sea Pro which has a high amount in it so I do not need to add it separately. Here is the link to the article

Thanks for the article. I use natural saltwater for water changes.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article. I use natural saltwater for water changes.

Well with NSW you should be replenishing Magnesium every time you add it but if the demand is higher then you would need to supplement and get a good quality test so you can make sure you do not overdose ... of course some drive it up to 1500 or even 1600 as then it kills off Bryopsis algae.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with NSW you should be replenishing Magnesium every time you add it but if the demand is higher then you would need to supplement and get a good quality test so you can make sure you do not overdose ... of course some drive it up to 1500 or even 1600 as then it kills off Bryopsis algae.
Thanks. That's what I've been doing. I have it on my dosing pump. I'm just surprised how much I have to add to keep it at around 1350. I have a salifert test kit.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's what I've been doing. I have it on my dosing pump. I'm just surprised how much I have to add to keep it at around 1350. I have a salifert test kit.

Did you identify anything in the article I sent a link to, that may explain why you have to dose so much if I may ask? It is unusual, indeed, to have to tweak "magnesium" that much all of the time. We ought to try and figure out why as normally it does not get depleted that much on a continuous basis.

In fact using RSP salt, as I indicated, I never add any and I use the Salifert test kit too, as you do, and my level stays at 1300 to 1350 ppm all the time. I have never had to add any supplementation of Mg.

Have you tested the NSW you are using for how much it actually contains? just wondering how much you come up with. Do let me know please. And what is your Calcium running at? Thanks.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics of my tank : 12/30

Another Yuma Baby ...
yuma51231.png

Candy Cane
candy1231.png

Pavona (the large one as I have 4 frags in addition to this one)
pavl1231.png

Everything doing well too ... and added another power head (Koralia 425)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuma response after feeding Marine Snow from Two Little Fishes™

yumamarinesnow.png

Note that I added only 1 capful of it to the tank with good water flow (2 power heads running) but no filter or skimmer.

You can see the feeding response real well. Other corals show a feeding response as well.

Informational as I am not associated with Julian's company.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a Small Urchin : The Armadillo Urchin Colobocentrotus atratus

Grows to a maximum size of 3 inches and therefore suitable for a Nano-Reef

Top view
Colobocentrotus_atratus.jpg

Bottom view
Colobocentrotus__atratus.jpg

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back