Ask Nano Questions and Find Information (Nano Expert Albert Thiel)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Dwarf Hawkfish .. reef safe but can be a bit bully with smaller fish

hawkdwarf.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the Nano-Reef Article section: I posted one on "Pocillopora" for the Nano Reef this morning. Happy Reading

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done another article in the Nano-Reef Section : The Duncan Coral, and excellent beginner's coral

Duncan Purple.png

And one in my Tank, was a 2-head one when introduced maybe 4 months ago

Duncan Albert.png

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to a PM :

The lighting to use over a Nano-Reef depends to a great deal on what you place in the tank, so there is really no simple answer to your question I am afraid but if you give me some more details about what you intend to buy or what you already have, I should be able to give some recommendations. Thanks.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response to a question : Why do I have a lot of bubbles at the top of the water in my tank?
Answer: higher amounts of dissolved organics will result in bubbles forming when water enters the tank, and if dissolved organics are high the surface tension of the bubble's skin will be high and it will not burst easily. That is one explanation, the other one is water is not "hard" enough meaning your dKH may be too low. Below is a pic taken of the top of my tank .. no bubbles :) Re-entry is from the HOB filter on the right and the skimmer in the back, also HOB type. No bubbles at all

bubblestop.png

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question in the chemistry section and didn't get a response. What would make magnesium drop? Aside from water changes. How much is a normal amount to be dosing? I assumed you don't need to add much, which is why they call it 2-part and not 3-part. It seems I have to add it constantly. Thanks

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question in the chemistry section and didn't get a response. What would make magnesium drop? Aside from water changes. How much is a normal amount to be dosing? I assumed you don't need to add much, which is why they call it 2-part and not 3-part. It seems I have to add it constantly. Thanks

Rather than going into a lenghty explanation about why magnesium drops in our aquariums due to complex processes that take place in our tanks, and organisms that uptake it such as coralline algae, corals, bacteria etc ... here is a link to an article that goes into great detail about Magnesium, its importance for calcium levels etc ...

BTW when you do water changes you add it back to some extent but how much depends on the brand of salt you are using. I use Red Sea Pro which has a high amount in it so I do not need to add it separately. Here is the link to the article

Aquarium Chemistry: Magnesium In Reef Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back