Automatic Water changes. It doesnt get any better then this.

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yte8umu6.jpg
enu7yban.jpg
guzupu7a.jpg
y8y7aje2.jpg

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a very cool idea. Has anyone considered the amount of new water they are taking out while adding new water. I know in very small amounts but it does happen. I would think that if you had a sump big enough I would prefer say take out two metered gallons then put in two metered gallons but not at the same time. I would have to do 3.5 gallons daily for myself.

After a whole year how much new water are you taking out while adding. I really like the take out then put in method myself but think it would be really cool to automate it with an apex. I gues you would need two pump setups then.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
WOW Ronnie- If i understand correctly i am better off just buying a $50 autotopoff.com dual float switch and passing the electrical wire to the APEX 30 feet away. Power cord will cost just a few dollars. Please LMK if im wrong.

You won't have failsafes in place with just the auto top off floats as you can't tie them into the apex without the breakout box. You could run the wires to the base unit, though. I just don't have the room on my breakout box under the tank to add more, so I need another one. And I bought the PM2 for salinity, so I can use it anyways.

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a very cool idea. Has anyone considered the amount of new water they are taking out while adding new water. I know in very small amounts but it does happen. I would think that if you had a sump big enough I would prefer say take out two metered gallons then put in two metered gallons but not at the same time. I would have to do 3.5 gallons daily for myself.

After a whole year how much new water are you taking out while adding. I really like the take out then put in method myself but think it would be really cool to automate it with an apex. I gues you would need two pump setups then.

This is where strategic line placement comes in to play, lol.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya lol. Why not just put a pump in the gulf of mexico and run it to my tank with a UV of course. Has anyone seen the salt mixing units at the LFS I saw one that mixes saltwater to the set salinity. cool but expensive i bet

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya lol. Why not just put a pump in the gulf of mexico and run it to my tank with a UV of course. Has anyone seen the salt mixing units at the LFS I saw one that mixes saltwater to the set salinity. cool but expensive i bet

That's pretty cool. My best guess is that they have pre-measured amounts of salt being dumped in and possibly a conductivity probe to double check.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ddavies, is there anywhere else those pumps can be obtained besides that supplier? (He only has 10 LOL)

You need the motor, pumps, tubing, new screws, power supply (specs?), and what else?

Last edited:

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's pretty cool. My best guess is that they have pre-measured amounts of salt being dumped in and possibly a conductivity probe to double check.

I'm contemplating doing this with my apex and the conductivity probe. Utilize a hopper that will dump a small amount of salt in until the salinity gets to 35

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating doing this with my apex and the conductivity probe. Utilize a hopper that will dump a small amount of salt in until the salinity gets to 35

I've have thought about it as well. What sort if hopper are you thinking?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really the only other place.
Masterflex Standard pump head for L S 24 tubing PC housing CRS rotor - LS Standard Pump Heads for HighPerformance Precision Tubing from Cole-Parmer

Or others on ebay but for a water change the pump needs to be one that runs large tubing like the ones I use.

Needed
2x Pump from ebay
New tubing from McMaster Carr
3 amp power supply 5-12 volt power supply
Longer screws

Optional
Maybe a new motor cheap insurance.

Something like this? (Amazon.com: Pyramid PS3KX 3-Amp 12-Volt Power Supply: Car Electronics)

I'm lost in the tubing aisle. LOL (McMaster-Carr)

Any info on the motor?

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try an adjustable power supply to see if I can slow it down some (if it makes much difference). At the full 200rpms, I only need it to run four minutes a day. I'd be ok extending that out to 15 min or so if slowing it down works.

ronnie;

4 in a day equates to how much water?
I'm trying to see how much per min theses pumps turn over.

The tubing is part number #51075K28 and it fits the 7024-20 master flex head.

KoleTang;

ddavies564 posted the tubing part # earlier. I put it above for easier refference.
It's abot $1.52 a foot

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 years ago these pumps were so cheap. I got mine for 40 bucks and it seems to be brand new, on the cole-parmer site it retails for $1100. I got my pump heads for 15 bucks each. Now these things are way more expensive, I think reefers drove up the price lol

ddavies564

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ronnie;

4 in a day equates to how much water?
I'm trying to see how much per min theses pumps turn over.

KoleTang;

ddavies564 posted the tubing part # earlier. I put it above for easier refference.
It's abot $1.52 a foot

There's a flow chart on the link I posted above the pump moves 2.8 ml per rotation. A gallon is 3752 or something, divide them out and then figure time by what ever rpm setup u are running.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back