Bacteria Bloom from prazipro

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning

I recently transferred a white tail kole and yellow tang from copper to a sterile qt. I then dosed a round of prazipro this past Saturday. I’ve always treated this way, however, I came back home Monday to find a huge bacteria bloom and both fish breathing rapidly. I added additional air stones to the qt and did five 5 gallon water changes (20L qt).

The fish seemed to improve slightly but not what I’d expect. Last night I transferred them to a new sterile 10 gallon qt with air stone. This morning the yellow appears to be breathing normal and swimming around. The white tail looks like the breathing has improved but not totally normal.

Thoughts? Should I be dosing any abx or anything. Not sure what to do at this point.

I must admit my wife is correct when she says I have bad luck with tangs.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial blooms aren't unusual with prazipro. It's typically recommended to always aerate and make sure your filtration is breaking the surface with a bit of a cascade when you use it, as the bacteria consume a fair amount of oxygen.

Two fish in one 10gal is a bit cramped IMO, especially with lower oxygen levels.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for any antibiotics, if you have methylene blue it may be beneficial to dose some to help oxygenation within the gills.

Moving the fish out of the tank with the bloom was the best thing you could do for sure.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial blooms aren't unusual with prazipro. It's typically recommended to always aerate and make sure your filtration is breaking the surface with a bit of a cascade when you use it, as the bacteria consume a fair amount of oxygen.

Two fish in one 10gal is a bit cramped IMO, especially with lower oxygen levels.

I agree the 10 is not ideal, but I figured it’s better than a 20 with a bacterial bloom. I was surprised by the bloom as the 20 had a marineland 150 hob and an air stone in it at the time.

No need for any antibiotics, if you have methylene blue it may be beneficial to dose some to help oxygenation within the gills.

Moving the fish out of the tank with the bloom was the best thing you could do for sure.

Thanks for the reassurance. Is it normal for them to take several days to recover back to normal breathing? When can I consider them out of danger? I feel kinda helpless right now.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like they’re breathing much better this evening. Thoughts? I cannot get any closer or the white tail hides from me.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be doing well enough there.

Good morning

I recently transferred a white tail kole and yellow tang from copper to a sterile qt. I then dosed a round of prazipro this past Saturday. I’ve always treated this way, however, I came back home Monday to find a huge bacteria bloom and both fish breathing rapidly. I added additional air stones to the qt and did five 5 gallon water changes (20L qt).

Instead of Prazipro, consider using General Cure instead.
It's a powder, also contains praziquantel, but doesn't contain the alcohol that Prazipro does.
Alcohol is the component that causes the bacterial blooms.
Or just praziquantel powder.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be doing well enough there.

Instead of Prazipro, consider using General Cure instead.
It's a powder, also contains praziquantel, but doesn't contain the alcohol that Prazipro does.
Alcohol is the component that causes the bacterial blooms.
Or just praziquantel powder.

Good point. I’ll probably make the switch for my next batch of fish. I have GC on hand. I’ve never had an issue before with the prazipro.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems like crisis averted this time! Hopefully this will serve others to stay on top of oxygenation issues/bacteria blooms and transfer the fish out ASAP if it does happen. One more round of prazi to go before transfer to DT.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to this thread. As you can see in the previously posted video both tangs were doing well.

I came home today to the white tail breathing heavy again and appears to have a single white spot on its side. Thoughts on what this is @HotRocks ?

I added my second dose of GC for flukes
today. We will see how they look in the morning.

The ups and downs of QT can be very frustrating for sure.

Attachments

• 73F557B5-1FBA-45EA-8266-E523CF27EC9E.MOV
    13.6 MB

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The greatest tool we have .for use in QT tanks is a sponge filter. It provides aeration and a great place for bacteria. It's hardly used as most folks use an oversize HOB filter but I promise you that a good sponge filter powered by an air pump is magic! And while it does not work instantly it does work very well. It solves many problems...

If these fish were in my care I would have one running quickly.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The greatest tool we have .for use in QT tanks is a sponge filter. It provides aeration and a great place for bacteria. It's hardly used as most folks use an oversize HOB filter but I promise you that a good sponge filter powered by an air pump is magic! And while it does not work instantly it does work very well. It solves many problems...

If these fish were in my care I would have one running quickly.

Do you have a link to a recommended sponge filter? Do they really work better than an HOB filter? I’m running a marineland 200 and an air stone in this qt. I’ve also done 150% in water changes in the past 36 hours.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just go to amazon and buy a large sponge filter. They do not work better...they work together. I have cleared cloudy tanks in 1 to 2 days using sponge filters. It seems to take weeks or never with a HOB. Large water changes work great but are very stressful. Everything about QT is stressful and I try to minimize that. I would go to a LFS and ask for a sponge filter and see what the rating is and buy one larger than needed. I like a large one that sinks to the bottom AFTER you squeeze it and take the air out.

I can not stress enough how great they are. At the start of summer break this year I took care of fish from my son's school because they were fumigatng. I setup two 20 gallon tanks. One tank had a HOB and the other had the same size HOB and sponge filter. After a few days the HOB tank was super cloudy, so I took the sponge from the top tank and dropped it into the bottom tank. Well, OVERNIGHT the tank turned crystal clear!

I've been keeping fish for 40 years. A cheap, stupid sponge filter is at the top of my most valuable assests.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just go to amazon and buy a large sponge filter. They do not work better...they work together. I have cleared cloudy tanks in 1 to 2 days using sponge filters. It seems to take weeks or never with a HOB. Large water changes work great but are very stressful. Everything about QT is stressful and I try to minimize that. I would go to a LFS and ask for a sponge filter and see what the rating is and buy one larger than needed. I like a large one that sinks to the bottom AFTER you squeeze it and take the air out.

I can not stress enough how great they are. At the start of summer break this year I took care of fish from my son's school because they were fumigatng. I setup two 20 gallon tanks. One tank had a HOB and the other had the same size HOB and sponge filter. After a few days the HOB tank was super cloudy, so I took the sponge from the top tank and dropped it into the bottom tank. Well, OVERNIGHT the tank turned crystal clear!

I've been keeping fish for 40 years. A cheap, stupid sponge filter is at the top of my most valuable assests.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve never really considered a sponge filter to be honest. I will probably pick up a few. I’d imagine they’re cheaper than the hob anyway.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they work well because it's a slow water intake and that seems to give bacteria a chance to attach themselves. I paid about $10 for my last one. Not expensive at all. If you ever need to medicate fish OR if it's quarantine I never just use a HOB. I also add the sponge filter and that action increases my success rate into the 90s! I never buy fish except at the start of a new tank. I treat all my fish, put them into the DT and watch them grow old along with me!

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please follow up and let us know if it works for you. The more working information we share the better for all of us.

Manthanol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 That's all I use in my QT, works better than HOB to control ammonia. I use the largest one I can fit in my QT like a sponge filter rated for 20g in my 10g QT and it very inexpensive.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back