Bacteria Bloom from prazipro

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on what’s causing the heavy breathing in the above video?

Many reasons. However, my guess is the bacteria bloom is using up the oxygen. It's a dangerous situation. I forgot to mention but considering how serious this is I would also use a small pump or wave device to heavily agitate the surface of the water. Really important to move that top layer for O2 exchange.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many reasons. However, my guess is the bacteria bloom is using up the oxygen. It's a dangerous situation. I forgot to mention but considering how serious this is I would also use a small pump or wave device to heavily agitate the surface of the water. Really important to move that top layer for O2 exchange.

There is no bacteria bloom. I moved them into another qt to get them out of the bloom and they were back to normal a few days ago as posted in the first video.

I’m trying to figure out why they started again with the heavy breathing.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia? Do you have an alert badge? Can you check for Ammonia? The tank is not cycled so I think of ammonia when breathing is fast. What to do...

50% water change.
Call LFS for a product from FRITZ, TurboStart 900. You can also use other bacteria but TurboStart is the best. Add bacteria to new QT WITH A SPONGE FILTER.

Manthanol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on what’s causing the heavy breathing in the above video?
I don't much at all about Tangs and medicating them but their breathing is heavy in the video. Have you tried adding methylene blue as suggested by HotRocks in case the bacterial bloom caused some damage to the gills, possibly?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use methylene blue just yet. I would put air stones in the HOB filter an d one in the tank for extra O2 exchange. How high is the ammonia???

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia? Do you have an alert badge? Can you check for Ammonia? The tank is not cycled so I think of ammonia when breathing is fast. What to do...

50% water change.
Call LFS for a product from FRITZ, TurboStart 900. You can also use other bacteria but TurboStart is the best. Add bacteria to new QT WITH A SPONGE FILTER.

If it’s ammonia it’s not registering on my alert badge. I added bio spira when I set the qt up and added more today. Its had an air stone in it since the start and I’ve done several large water changes.

I don't much at all about Tangs and medicating them but their breathing is heavy in the video. Have you tried adding methylene blue as suggested by HotRocks in case the bacterial bloom caused some damage to the gills, possibly?

I don’t have any methylene blue on hand.

I would not use methylene blue just yet. I would put air stones in the HOB filter an d one in the tank for extra O2 exchange. How high is the ammonia???

There is no detectable ammonia according to my alert badge and the quick test strips that I have. Air stone has been in since the start. This is why I’m baffled by this.

Are tangs super sensitive to ammonia to the point that it won’t register on an alert badge but they’re breathing heavy?

The fish still appear to be breathing a bit heavy but are swimming around and they did eat earlier for me. I’m going to transfer them to a 20 gallon tomorrow.

OP
OP
mygsris2slo4u

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the salinity at?

Salinity is at 1.025 as I raised it over time while the fish were in Copper. As of yesterday evening they seem to be breathing normal again and are swimming around and eating. I did add a different brand of bottled bacteria, so the only thing I can think is there was a small amount of ammonia that was not registering on the alert badge, but was affecting the fish.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be doing well enough there.

Instead of Prazipro, consider using General Cure instead.
It's a powder, also contains praziquantel, but doesn't contain the alcohol that Prazipro does.
Alcohol is the component that causes the bacterial blooms.
Or just praziquantel powder.
I just got a very large bloom after dosing GC.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back