Bacterial bloom few weeks into cycling

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now , what I suggest is to take a water sample to trusted LFS and see what they come up with and you will then know which is true. Even take the kits with you .

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my lfs uses api last time I took water in for them to double check my results.
Here are the comparisons

Unfortunately I don’t know any reefers anywhere near me
F1E47401-7AFE-476B-B2FE-FC2F7966E220.jpeg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to add, my corals aren’t opening up either, could it be the nitrates ?
If corals aren’t opening I would look at your alkalinity and calcium levels. They don’t really mind nitrates too much but the big 3 need to be in order for coral growth and thriving. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If corals aren’t opening I would look at your alkalinity and calcium levels. They don’t really mind nitrates too much but the big 3 need to be in order for coral growth and thriving. Just my 2 cents
I’ll test those tomorrow, what about the issue I got with test results using different kits. Any ideas?

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tests are more accurate than others. I have cross tested enough that I have a mix of brands for testing.

Always make sure to keep an eye on your expiration dates on the testing kits that you’re using. That may have an effect of the results that you will get from testing with the expired kit.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tests are more accurate than others. I have cross tested enough that I have a mix of brands for testing.

Always make sure to keep an eye on your expiration dates on the testing kits that you’re using. That may have an effect of the results that you will get from testing with the expired kit.
All test kits are in date!
And yeah I get that some are different to others, it on that big a scale as I had with the ammonia??

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rinse all test vials with RODI water. Dry and retake the test. See what the new results are. Where are you located?
I have done, just been to lfs and their api test the same as mine. But don’t know why salifert would differ so much. But I deffo obviously have a water issue . Based on Buckinghamshire

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other test kit that I trust more is Hannah. They sell them on Amazon,bulk reef supply, marine depot, etc.

Also check out this guy on YouTube. Hes from London I believe you may be able to help you out what a good fish store or somebody local.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Add some bio spira and see if that helps (adds good bacteria)

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other test kit that I trust more is Hannah. They sell them on Amazon,bulk reef supply, marine depot, etc.

Also check out this guy on YouTube. Hes from London I believe you may be able to help you out what a good fish store or somebody local.

Just checked him out...... the atm colony seems to good to be true. But I watched the video first hand and they add fish straight away!!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back