Beginning Fluconazole Questions

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

First, let me apologize if all of this has been answered in other posts. I am planning on beginning my 2 week dosing cycle and I wanted to confirm that I am doing everything correctly, so please by all means save me from myself.

I have a 29 gallon Biocube, so I am planning on opening and mixing 3 tablets of Fluconazole thoroughly and then adding them to the rear chamber where my return pump is.

Prior to the addition of Fluconazole I am:

1. Removing my Purigen and Chemipure Elite.

2. Removing my skimmer cup, but continuing to run the skimmer body to oxygenate the tank and help maintain PH.

3. Completing a 10% water change.

4. Is there a 4, 5, or even 6 that I am forgetting?

*When should I add my skimmer cup back, or do I just leave it off for all 14 days?

Thank you in advance, I know many of you have had great success with this and no adverse effects.

Jim

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my skimmer running with collection cup [dry skim] and the fluconazole still killed off all of my bryopsis. I have heard purigen/carbon/gfo/chemipure can remove the med though so I would have taken those off if I used them. There's also debate on whether or not to manually remove the bryopsis [assuming that's why you're treating with fluconazole], and I am one who manually removed what I could but then didn't worry about removal once I dosed.

Good luck

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to work on bryopsis, but often not on other types of algae. I don't have any special advice beyond what you are doing, but there are a lot of threads around on folks using it a(which I presume that is how you got your original plan :) ).

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept GFO on to help with the Bryopsis die off. Killed everything in a week. This is my second time im doing this.

OP
OP
jrwoltman

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to work on bryopsis, but often not on other types of algae. I don't have any special advice beyond what you are doing, but there are a lot of threads around on folks using it a(which I presume that is how you got your original plan :) ).
That is correct, sir. Thank you!

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It killed my heavy patch of GHa in abour 17 days. Started seeing die off around 10 days on GHA. Honestly bith times i did it in that period i was treating it my LPS looked great healthy as ever. Dont know if its related but my JB retracted and spit out 5 babies and my bounce split

Jwheld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is a good place to purchase? Can’t keep up with bryopsis these days.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my skimmer (dry skim) left my GFO/GAC mixed reactor running. It took a little longer to start but after 2 weeks at is almost all gone. Granted I only had a couple of small patches on 1 large rock but non the less it is almost gone without stopping GAC

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO, skimmer both online here. Didn’t hurt my chaeto and I also mixed it well with tank water before putting into system

OP
OP
jrwoltman

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It killed my heavy patch of GHa in abour 17 days. Started seeing die off around 10 days on GHA. Honestly bith times i did it in that period i was treating it my LPS looked great healthy as ever. Dont know if its related but my JB retracted and spit out 5 babies and my bounce split
Very nice, thank you for sharing!

OP
OP
jrwoltman

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my skimmer (dry skim) left my GFO/GAC mixed reactor running. It took a little longer to start but after 2 weeks at is almost all gone. Granted I only had a couple of small patches on 1 large rock but non the less it is almost gone without stopping GAC

Thank you for the info!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 116 43.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 127 47.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.0%
Back