Best $40.00 I have spent in a while

Broog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160830_170946.jpg

I work a weird shift working 12 hour days on for 7 and off for 7... Being off for 7 is great for reefing..working the other seven takes me away from my tank for long periods. So I recently purchased a Zmodo Wifi Camera and have it on a tripod in front of my tank. Now i can see my tank through out the day on my phone or being in a Dispatch office , I put in on a available big screen Tv. Also a couple nights ago while looking at it after lights out, I was able to see my Hi Fin Goby who I had thought had disappeared and his Randall's Shrimp partner who were in the very front of the tank all along living under a old shell. I feel like I take my tank with me everywhere I go now.

971d382e-e3ba-450e-8b1c-3ef0c77bb1c9_400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I want to do that someday. Would be comforting to be able to see my tank throughout the day or on vacation.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea but a waste of money
My wifi camera saved my tank while I was away for two weeks. I hadn't checked the camera in about 18 hours and when I checked, I noticed the water level was low and the lights weren't on. Turns out my gfci outlet tripped and the mp40 on a battery backup was keeping my tank's inhabitants alive. The water temperature was 67*F. A friend came over 3 hours later to reset the outlet. I only lost two recently cut acro frags. A $40 camera is totally not a waste of money.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree money well spent and very cool!

reefstacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man that's a great idea, a lot easier than setting up an office tank lol. I've spent $40+ on so many things that didn't last a week, and many more things that I never even ended up using...good investment for sure. Might have to use this idea...it would be cool to be able to pull up a live shot when I am explaining the hobby to people with that "I just don't get it" look on their face.

llutin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I do a question: Can you see the video on the computer with this camera? Anybody know if I can use whit the Apex Fusion? Thank you

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have done is use a couple of old phones with Alfred. This thing is awesome, no ports to open nothing. Just install the app on the phone used as a camera and then install the app on your phone. Sign in with google and voila! It is also viewable with chrome and firefox. The best usage of old phones I ever discovered! ;)

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this! I'm looking to do something very similar to this when I move in a few weeks. My reef tank will no longer be in a common area, the downfall to having a dedicated fish room in the new house, it's completely removed from the main house. This will allow me to always be able to view my tank. Sweet idea and CHEAP! :)

Dom3rd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, I have been thinking about doing this for a couple months. I just can't decide on a camera to get!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back