BEST Aiptasia Treatment I have Ever Used.

KaneH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used fresh lemon juice(squeezed myself) in a needle and syringe. Moved slowly in the tank and then stabbed them and filled them up. Haven't seen them since. :)

StillReefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used fresh lemon juice(squeezed myself) in a needle and syringe. Moved slowly in the tank and then stabbed them and filled them up. Haven't seen them since. :)

Be careful with lemon juice, it can affect your PH dramatically. I would stay away from using that, just my $.02.

Cheers

joelpeavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using vinegar pretty effectively lately. I bought some zoas from my LFS which has a system just freaking overrun with aiptasia. I even had to ask them to kill a humongous one that they called a rock anemome on a piece I wanted to purchase. Anyway, little boogers have been popping up and I am blasting them with a couple of cc's of vinegar and have been taking care of them pretty easily. Haven't had to inject them as long as I hit them when they are open. Have had a few in the middle of a zoa rock, on a clam, on a scallop, close proximity to a Duncans and fortunately haven't killed anything but the aips.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it today ! Worked Well. Will just have to keep hitting them. Wiped out a bunch. Used and eyedropper. Just smokes them.

Jeff

enlsdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling Aiptasia in my 30" x 30" x 24" starfire cube tank for over a year. I have tried Joe's Juice, Aiptaisia X, Kalk paste, Peppermint Shrimp, and a Copperband Butterfly. The CBB didn't live, and the Peppermints didn't eat the aiptasia, or did not live after placement in the tank.

My experience until recently with chemical treatments was that when I used Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X or Kalk paste, it would cause the Aiptasia to shrink back for a couple days, but then there it would be again. I followed the product directions to the letter, but they just were not effective for me.

I was on the internet and came across this webpage, posted back in 2002, and it outlined the use of sodium hydroxide as an aiptasia eliminator.

Now, for those not familiar with this chemical, sodium hydroxide is also known as lye, which is a very caustic chemical with a pH of 13. It can burn skin, remove the anodization off metal, and pit aluminum. So please follow the directions outlined in the webpage carefully.

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/b...a_control.html

My experience with this method:

I mixed a two times normal solution (2N) of NaOH.

The webpage advises against using commercial drain opener, but I used ROOTO Brand crystal lye formula drain opener. It is all lye, but if anyone prefers, lab grade NaOH can be ordered online, but it costs a good bit more. The ROOTO lye is about $4 a jar, and is more than you will need in your lifetime. Available at any ACE Hardware Store. A 2N solution of NaOH uses 80 grams of NaOH in one liter of RODI. I used a digital scale, but 80 grams comes out to 1/3 cup. Mix the solution up in a plastic container you can seal up. It will get warm when you mix the lye and water together (exothermic reaction). And be VERY CAREFUL about fumes coming off the solution while it is warm right after mixing. It does not feel good to breath it in (personal experience).

What I found so nice about this method was that you don't have to get the NaOH slurry exactly on the aiptasia, but just next to it or near it for it to work. The webpage explains it quite well. Kind of like this stuff is a hand grenade, or napalm, where close kills, vs Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X, in which a bulls-eye is required for a kill.

This method also works very well for majano anemones. It dissolves them on contact

How I did it:

Follow the instructions about turning off all flow in the tank. I used a flashlight for dark areas of the rock to look for aiptasia, and be careful about what the NaOH slurry can fall onto. I basically treated every aiptasia I found with the NaOH on day 1, then repeated on Day 3, then repeated on Day 5. You must be willing to check and treat every other day several times in a row, until you don't see any more aiptasia. Observation is key, as some of the anemones will be too small to see initially, but become visible as they grow.

I started treatment on or around December 1. I treated about 40 aiptasias day 1, about 10 on day 3, about 3 on day five. I continued to observe every other day and picked up a few I didn't see the first few times, and have not seen any aiptasias in the tank for over 10 days now.

The webpage is totally correct about the NaOH not being harmful to the tank or inhabitants after it is diluted with tank water. NaOH (and KOH) is actually the main ingredient in a Seachem Aquavitro product called balance.

I have not seen a single aiptasia come back since I started treating my tank. I believe the key for success using this is sticking to the every other day inspection/treatment schedule until no more aiptasia are observed for at least 4-5 inspections, and repeated follow ups once a week until you are sure you have totally eliminated aiptasia from your tank.

Here are pics of the lye I used, and a pic of the syringe/applicators. I cut the tip off a bulb type syringe and use it for easy application, and I made a curved applicator by heating and bending a piece of 1/8" rigid airline tubing. Works well for under rocks. You can also use Joe's Juice applicators, or Aiptasia X applicators.

Dave
I have only seen 3 aptasia in my tank. Does this solution completely kill the aptasia with one treatment? Or did you have to retreat each aptasia that was already treated? Thanks for any info

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back