Best salt mixes

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm wrong on the alk values. I had to check my saltmix parameters thread to check my memory. IO is typically 10-11 dkh and RC is typically ~12-15dkh.
12- 15dkh? from what SG to what SG? lol

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IORC when I very first started but found out early on that it doesn't store well due to the organics in it. It would cause my skimmer to turn into a volcano every time I did a water change. I switched to IO with no organics in it and problem solved storing and using.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just tend to get heated quickly for some reason. I agree knowledge is great but when backing up your opinions it would be nice to get the literature that you are referring to directly then having to search with ambiguous terms which may bring up the wrong results.

Then when the literature is questioned please don't take it personally. That's what getting peer reviewed is all about. And when something does get peer reviewed and eventually published doesn't mean it's 100% accepted by everyone or near it or that it's correct. Published papers get debunked all the time over long periods of time sometimes. And sometimes they get justified again after being thought wrong...

Science...

Part of the literature was shared, but other stuff is out there. I suspect most people here are smart enough to find it. If they find contradictory evidence that's awesome in itself. I'm here to learn as well, not only parrot what I've seen.
The simple fact that it's been found to negatively affect development warrants caution. To me that is very important. If it's not important to some it doesn't make it any less important for the collective. (resistance is futile! :p )

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the literature was shared, but other stuff is out there. I suspect most people here are smart enough to find it. If they find contradictory evidence that's awesome in itself. I'm here to learn as well, not only parrot what I've seen.
The simple fact that it's been found to negatively affect development warrants caution. To me that is very important. If it's not important to some it doesn't make it any less important for the collective. (resistance is futile! :p )

I am curious what study you are referencing. A person on another thread on Li had no issue sharing a link.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/lithium.260578/page-2#post-3100029

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to see ANY evidence that lithium at the levels in IO is a concern, and Craig's article showing issues with C0ralife salt is certainly no justification to be concerned.

I agree that the high lithium in Coralife was a possible concern that some had. It may not have been the actual problem with that mix, but it was very much higher than IO and every other mix he tested by a factor of more than 30.

So by your reasoning, one might want to avoid salt mixes with an alk higher than NSW at 8 dKH because a different salt mix caused problems when the alk was 250 dKH higher than NSW.

One needs to pay attention to the levels involved when drawing conclusions, even if the conclusion is only that there is some evidence of a proble at much higher levels. That is likely true of many of the components of a salt mix.

Again, I didn't mention IO this time. Though in the past I've seen it have some pretty high levels. Higher than NSW is a reason to spread the word so we can put pressure on the manufacturers. Only WE can affect the product quality, though it's hard when it's the cheapest.
I agree it might not have been the problem, but again visiting the fervor people display about accepting anecdotal evidence I had to include it. I suspect the debate will go on for quite awhile in the hobby, but dismissing it fully isn't justified since we have no proof it doesn't affect anything. Like the breeding example. I know people who smoke cigarettes into their 90's and died of other reasons, but that doesn't mean smoking didn't do something.

I think you misunderstand me Randy. I'm not saying 'all salts with elevated lithium are detrimental'. I'm saying, we cannot excuse the content above NSW or discredit investigation into it, because the data is simply not there that it's inert.
Even carbon dosers have found >10dkh to negatively affect scenarios. Will we say 'I've not seen any data to suggest it's harmful' when we've seen anecdotal evidence to SUGGEST otherwise?

Just trying to have a level head about it.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious what study you are referencing. A person on another thread on Li had no issue sharing a link.

Alright man. I'll take some time over the next week and do some data collection. If you could though, in the future, suggest others look as well. I'll admit it does get tiring doing all the legwork. I shared enough bullet points already that anyone can find this data. :)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright man. I'll take some time over the next week and do some data collection. If you could though, in the future, suggest others look as well. I'll admit it does get tiring doing all the legwork. I shared enough bullet points already that anyone can find this data. :)

No problem then. I figured you had a reference already you were refering to having such a strong stance on the subject.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt matches exactly NSW levels of all elements?

You should do a myth busters on that. The triton tests are available. :) (totally joking lol, I don't think there is one that matches completely, though RSCP is the closest I've found save for a couple elements; closer than others, though it's hard because levels seem to change more often than not)

No problem then. I figured you had a reference already you were refering to having such a strong stance on the subject.

I don't have a strong stance, but I wish people would continue to share the data to make manufacturer's strive for better products than saying 'omg -insert salt- saved my babies and led me to the end of a rainbow'.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken Red Sea recommends around 12dkh for a hyper growth phase for even those dosing nopox .

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do a myth busters on that. The triton tests are available. :)

I have been. See sig.

AFAIK there are no saltmixes for sale that matches exactly NSW.

And that was to this statement

"Higher than NSW is a reason to spread the word so we can put pressure on the manufacturer"

There are many elements much higher then NSW and lower in every brand.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya, which has always confused me, though I speculate the burnt tips people talk about might have to do with a lack of elements you might find in the Reef Energy line. (because it's the only additional item beyond the ABC foundation elements) That in itself might be worth investigating.

Your sig?
Ha, see, even I can be clueless at times! :) (thanks for that! that's the kinda stuff to advance the hobby)

You should rewrite/consolidate that though to include all Triton results. Again though, nice set of data. I tried to get a post going that everyone submits their salt mix to Triton, but ya, still a lot of factors that can skew data. But more data is better than dismissing the possibilities.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya, which has always confused me, though I speculate the burnt tips people talk about might have to do with a lack of elements you might find in the Reef Energy line. (because it's the only additional item beyond the ABC foundation elements) That in itself might be worth investigating.

Your sig?
Ha, see, even I can be clueless at times! :) (thanks for that! that's the kinda stuff to advance the hobby)

My signature but its tough as I can't even see it on my mobile device. I have to keep looking for it to link it

Here:
http://reef2reef.com/threads/saltmix-parameters-bring-on-the-test-results.233233/

After getting RSCP to precipitate via that mythbuster style thread I'll be sending in Aquaforest reef and probiotic and RSCP to triton. Also have some coralife and seachem ready as well. More to come over time.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My signature but its tough as I can't even see it on my mobile device. I have to keep looking for it to link it

Here:
http://reef2reef.com/threads/saltmix-parameters-bring-on-the-test-results.233233/

After getting RSCP to precipitate via that mythbuster style thread I'll be sending in Aquaforest reef and probiotic and RSCP to triton. Also have some coralife and seachem ready as well. More to come over time.

I would send ya my RSCP triton test of fresh salt, but then after getting it back and seeing tin, I opened up the pump I used. It had rust... :( (not sure what else that might have thrown off)

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, why do you think 12dkh salt would cause your tank to be 12dkh?

What do you think happens when dosing an alk supplement?

My alk is normally pretty steady at 9-10dkh using IO. It has been elevated in the past due to my own mishaps but I've easily lowered them back down.

If I did want my alk to be lower then that I would just reduce the amount of limewater I dose.

If a particular salt has lower dkh you may need to supplement more. If it has higher you may supplement less.

The saltmix has little impact.

A Salt with 12 Alkalinity will not raise my Alkalinity to 12 But It will Raise it too much.

9 to 10 is too much swing (1 Whole Point).

My Tanks Never Change more than 0.3

I Test 5 Tanks Every Day and 1 Tank Twice a Day and Dose Accordingly.

If it Drops to 8.2 I Dose Exactly enough to go to 8.5

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice for a better salt mix. Currently Im using instant ocean but thinking about switching I was thinking Red Sea. What does everybody else use? Also is there any reason to be concerned when mixing different brands of salt mix when and if I change? Have been using instant ocean for 2 years now since I've started in the sw world and its been good I guess. I mean it's salt mix and is easy to get. But what's everyone else use. Again thinking Red Sea
I've been using a mix of Red Sea Coral Pro and Instant Ocean. I use 1/3 RS and 2/3 IO. I went to this combo because the RS DKH is much too high while the IO has the lowest I've been able to find. Having the IO on hand is great because of how easily and quickly it mixes up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back