Status
Not open for further replies.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, when I saw it I thought it was a stupid thing to put on a pet forum. I thought to myself "why would someone even do that, what's their point". That picture was meant to incite and you got the reaction you were looking for. I knew when I saw it what issue it was going to cause. Did anyone see it and say "oh people are going to love that, that's a great photo to share?". Even if you weren't offended, I bet you knew others would be, right? I believe someone else needs a drink for thinking this wouldn't upset some people. Why would one purposefully try to do that? It is very normal for people to be upset as again this is a PET forum. PET.

Some threads are created with intention to stir up conversation, some are created to broaden others' views. I think this thread has a little bit of both. I am not suprised nor upset because this is not the first time I seen this kind of thread on R2R. But honestly, the first time I see that box full of dead achilles in another thread, I felt a bit sad.

bruleyii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was for a quick laugh but I understand both sides. I don't think it was meant to get into a debate. It would be the same as showing Korean dishes on a dog forum, but its also good exposure to other cultures.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what's the point JC? How is this broadening others' views? What views? I must be missing the view....

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repete after me "fish are our friends not food". That said I enjoy watching and eating fish...I am so conflicted. Have a great day. After posting I see someone beat me to it...lol.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was for a quick laugh but I understand both sides. I don't think it was meant to get into a debate. It would be the same as showing Korean dishes on a dog forum, but its also good exposure to other cultures.

The moment I saw it, I knew it wasn't going to bring some a quick laugh to some. This not exposure to culture, we eat fish too.

Anyway, I do enough scolding with the kids, as this is like something an older brother would torture their younger sister with.

I've had my say, but I don't see the point of this besides to bug people. I'm not into that.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, when I saw it I thought it was a stupid thing to put on a pet forum. I thought to myself "why would someone even do that, what's their point". That picture was meant to incite and you got the reaction you were looking for. I knew when I saw it what issue it was going to cause. Did anyone see it and say "oh people are going to love that, that's a great photo to share?". Even if you weren't offended, I bet you knew others would be, right? I believe someone else needs a drink for thinking this wouldn't upset some people. Why would one purposefully try to do that? It is very normal for people to be upset as again this is a PET forum. PET.
Well Lionfish Lair, I would imagine you love or have a Lionfish? Don't get offended but these beautiful fish are being culled all over the Caribbean, as an aggressive exotic species that proliferates like crazy! There are even rally round-up contest here in Florida. I have eaten the ones I've taken off the reef and they really do taste good (like grouper). I'm not sensitive to these topics when there is a need, as long as conservative measures are observed.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what's the point JC? How is this broadening others' views? What views? I must be missing the view....

Broadening views like, I didn't know those fish that we kept in our tank and relatively small in size can grow so big in the wild and are eatable. views like we in first world countries worry about our corals and fishes being sick and catching ich, while other part of the world (semi 3rd world countries) that people will depend their lives on eating them, or, selling their meat due to easy accessibility to make some money to feed their families.

Me and you and some others might be all grown up and vets on reefing hobby that this is known knowledge, but it will broaden views of new comers to the hobby, or highschool/college kids thats just starting out this hobby that hasn't travel around the world yet to know this kind of stuff. So yeah, thats that. Just keep calm and be open minded.

NeptuneGarden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

me thinks you may be over thinking this too much ........

ironeagle2006

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something to consider. In Chile the Guinea Pig you know that cute little furry rodent that our kids want for pets as they grow up. Well down there they are raised for MEAT and eaten. Yep they raise thousands of them like we do chickens and slaughter them for meat. We need to realize that other cultures eat things that we consider repulsive or cute and we do the same to them. Dog is a well known Delicious meat in the Oriental regions Horsemeat is huge across Europe. Japan loves to eat Seal and Whale.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this thread may bring great awareness to many here (that fact that the things we adore as pets are a common market food in other cultures), it will come at the price of being rather upsetting to others.

So for the sake of preserving the awareness and to nix any further outrage, let's just stop right here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back