Status
Not open for further replies.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never understood why humans put more care into some species of an animal than another. Why do "we" care about a pretty Tang more than a not-so-pretty Halibut? I was raised on a small farm where we ate the bovines and groomed and showed and fussed over the equines. In many countries, horse is a delicacy. I don't have any issue with this, and I would love to try it sometime. One of my vary favorite fish to eat is Parrotfish - and they are BEAUTIFUL! A Tang in a frying pan may look a bit odd to us, but you just try serving up a beef steak in Nepal or India. :eek: I just don't understand the "only the pretty ones shall live" mentality. It sounds like fishy racism! ;)

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue eating tang. However, the first time I saw a pack of convict tangs for a few bucks in the grocery store it did surprise me a bit!

I also speared my fair share of fish that would be stupid expensive in the hobby.

Bill Bolton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have eaten many trigger fish, French and queen angels, and I love lionfish. I haven't had tang yet but I'm sure it is a decent fish.

OP
OP
Spiderguardnano

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about parrot fish if you guys ever get a chance to try this fish deep fried I will highly recommended it
Great fish
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459313501.779429.jpg

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread does not belong on a reef hobby forum.

XOPRESENTS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind that what is caught is eaten, while for the aquarium trade some live and a lot die before they even come close to our lfs for us to buy.

I'd also like to add that in some of the areas where these beautiful fishes are found native, the locals have depended on "fishing" these fishes to feed their families for centuries now without a problem. Unlike most of us who have the pleasure to spend large amounts of capital on our hobby, these people depend on fishing for life and death. Just my defense for the native peoples and a little education.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread does not belong on a reef hobby forum.
I disagree. This is not a wasteful practice. For many it's a way of life. We just place a higher value on a fish that is commonly used as a food source else where.

Taylor121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from Hawaii & I'm a mazed about how expensive some of the fish are in the hobby that we eat here and catch regularly. Convict tangs and kole tangs are my favorite salted and fried lol every time we eat fish I eat over $100 dollars worth of fish lol

Taylor121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about parrot fish if you guys ever get a chance to try this fish deep fried I will highly recommended it
Great fish
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459313501.779429.jpg
Parrot fish is amazing steamed with tomato onions and mayonnaise, there's other ways to steam it but that's my favorite. in Hawaii it's like a delicacy

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the tridacna clams we pay big bucks for! The difference I bet has a lot to do with keeping an animal alive and shipping vs. throwing it on ice after capturing. Here in Florida, the beautiful queen trigger is protected as well as queen conch, but cross over to the Bahamas, less than 2 hrs away, and have as much as you want. The queen trigger is great table fare![emoji106]

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, you guys are serious, I guess my fault for not including a smilie. I was just joking, any thread is welcomed on the forums. geeze, maybe some of you need a drink.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, when I saw it I thought it was a stupid thing to put on a pet forum. I thought to myself "why would someone even do that, what's their point". That picture was meant to incite and you got the reaction you were looking for. I knew when I saw it what issue it was going to cause. Did anyone see it and say "oh people are going to love that, that's a great photo to share?". Even if you weren't offended, I bet you knew others would be, right? I believe someone else needs a drink for thinking this wouldn't upset some people. Why would one purposefully try to do that? It is very normal for people to be upset as again this is a PET forum. PET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back