Best wrasse

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the fairy wrasses will eat your CUC.

This grid has a lot of great info to help you choose your fairy wrasses. Happy Reefing!

1683150457574.png
Saving this image too!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best wrasse. Any reef safe wrasse but leopards are definitely clear winner in my book
Viviennae is a close second to Choati in my list ;)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the #1 wrasse called?

That’s a male Macropharyngodon meleagris.
Yes it is but it is the nuptial coloration of the terminal male Meleagris Leopard wrasse. You won’t see him like that all the time. Only if you able to keep a harem and keep them well enough to induce courting and spawn behavior.

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking for? There isn’t a best in everything. Re you looking for a flashy wrasse? Are there other wrasses in the tank? Only 1 wrasse will result in dull Flasher and Fairy. If this is the case look at other genus. If you keep 2 or more the there are a million choices.
Here are a few I have. Not a complete list by far. It is all depends on what you are looking for and what are available for you, how patient you are and how good are you in getting the best out of your fish.
all reef safe
IMG_9165.jpeg
IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_4361.png
IMG_8198.jpeg
IMG_7256.png
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_6956.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_4643.jpeg
What is the 8th wrasse on the list? It looks amazing!

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking for? There isn’t a best in everything. Re you looking for a flashy wrasse? Are there other wrasses in the tank? Only 1 wrasse will result in dull Flasher and Fairy. If this is the case look at other genus. If you keep 2 or more the there are a million choices.
Here are a few I have. Not a complete list by far. It is all depends on what you are looking for and what are available for you, how patient you are and how good are you in getting the best out of your fish.
all reef safe
IMG_9165.jpeg
IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_4361.png
IMG_8198.jpeg
IMG_7256.png
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_6956.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_4643.jpeg

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all reef safe
IMG_9165.jpeg
IMG_8946.jpeg
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_4361.png
IMG_8198.jpeg
IMG_7256.png
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_6956.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_4643.jpeg
Out of curiosity how does having multiple wrasses improve the coloration of fairy and flasher wrasse? I will be adding 4 wrasses soon (one each of halichoris, flasher, fairy, and leopard wrasse) so will not be an issue but am curious.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order from top to bottom;
Macropharyngodon meleagris - Meleagris Leopard Wrasse
Macropharyngodon negrosensis - Black Leopard Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus - Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Anampses neoguinaicus - New Guinea/Black Backed/China/Freedom Wrasse
Paracheilinus attenuatus - Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse
Paracheilinus attenuatus - Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus naokoae - Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse
Paracheilinus octotaenia - Eight Line Flasher Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indo Variant) - Indonesian Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus cyanogularis - Blue Throat Fairy Wrasse
Macropharyngodon negrosensis - Black Leopard Wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity how does having multiple wrasses improve the coloration of fairy and flasher wrasse? I will be adding 4 wrasses soon (one each of halichoris, flasher, fairy, and leopard wrasse) so will not be an issue but am curious.
For wrasses to keep their main colours strong they have to have a reason to be keeping dominant and on edge.
Displaying causes the colours to truly show however this is only done through three means;
- Breeding/Courting of a female
- Territory and defending it
- Food

Here’s my diamond tail beginning to go into display, he now does this almost every night and even throughout the day. The reason he does it now is to protect territory and also the boss of the fairies/flashers and him love to display with eachother.
IMG_7736.jpeg

Halichoeres are rarely susceptible to dulling without anyone else and they keep their colours generally unless under stress. It’s the same with Leopards.
Fairies and Flashers are most susceptible to the dulling phase as they keep their colours through display and courting. It’s why in LFSs you’ll often see a dull wrasse yet when in a home aquarium, the same wrasse will have 100s of colours all over it.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasses to keep their main colours strong they have to have a reason to be keeping dominant and on edge.
Displaying causes the colours to truly show however this is only done through three means;
- Breeding/Courting of a female
- Territory and defending it
- Food

Here’s my diamond tail beginning to go into display, he now does this almost every night and even throughout the day. The reason he does it now is to protect territory and also the boss of the fairies/flashers and him love to display with eachother.
IMG_7736.jpeg

Halichoeres are rarely susceptible to dulling without anyone else and they keep their colours generally unless under stress. It’s the same with Leopards.
Fairies and Flashers are most susceptible to the dulling phase as they keep their colours through display and courting. It’s why in LFSs you’ll often see a dull wrasse yet when in a home aquarium, the same wrasse will have 100s of colours all over it.
And this is why I think I'm going with the rubeus and brunneus instead of the rubeus and M negrosensis! Want to see some flashing!

fsingh747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi selling a Nyos g300 reef tank brand new tank only. Unforeseen circumstances have allowed me not to continue with my tank. Comes with sump and plumbing its brand new and unused. Please give me an offer im selling for $600 firm local pick up. I live in SOCAL corona ca.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back