Big Announcement Today on a Live Event

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
67c8af47b71454e485e5719f1b407081.jpg

That shouldn't matter..

Bought mine March 3rd. :/

No it shouldn't, I would def see if yours is eligible. That's a free module!

Bought it March 3rd.... :/

thehammer1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna lie I love my apex and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this by all the apex ball washers who think they are gonna get a free unit for talking crap online to people voicing their concerns on an open forum... but I am generally displeased about this. I bout both of mine before the deal and before the 100 dollar credit. Now I'm stuck with 2 old units that don't have wifi and will go obsolete before the new one (obviously) A little heads up wouldve been nice.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine years ago, I WANT A NEW ONE!!!! NO FAIR!

Nice job @Terence with putting up with all of these people who cannot appreciate a new product release :)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bout both of mine before the deal and before the 100 dollar credit. Now I'm stuck with 2 old units that don't have wifi and will go obsolete before the new one (obviously) A little heads up wouldve been nice.
I am not interesting in getting to any debate on this but I think you and others are missing a huge hole in your logic. It is a paradox quite frankly. As an example, let's say I had announced just two day before you bought yours - let's say three months ago - what about the guy who bought the day before that announcement? I bet he would be just as upset. There is never a good time that would not create such an occurrence. In fact, in the following three months of what would be dismal sales, I am sure there would be another lot of people all upset because they did not hear the announcement because we didn't do a good enough job announcing and now they bought an "old" unit.

Ultimately there are no "old" ones - only a newer more improved one as we are continuing to sell the original Apex to those that want a more economical solution with less features.

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna lie I love my apex and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this by all the apex ball washers who think they are gonna get a free unit for talking crap online to people voicing their concerns on an open forum... but I am generally displeased about this. I bout both of mine before the deal and before the 100 dollar credit. Now I'm stuck with 2 old units that don't have wifi and will go obsolete before the new one (obviously) A little heads up wouldve been nice.

Honestly I am no "apex fan boy" in the sense that I simply talk positive about products I enjoy, and don't get caught up in which brand, but your logic here is seriously flawed. You do NOT have an "old product" by any means. You have a fully functioning controller (arguably the standard for controllers in the US) that neptune has said ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS that they will CONTINUE TO SUPPORT VIA FUSION AND SOFTWARE. I am not flaming you so please don't take the caps as "yelling but I just find it hard to believe that people are so upset about this. They released a new product, and have honored all their past customers (those of us with apex classic) by ensuring that our units will still function flawlessly with the new updated app and future fusion upgrades.

I can understand the frustration, but I believe @Terence makes sense in that "where do you draw the line" on product releases. At the end of the day though, if people want to be upset be upset that you didn't get the "newest" thing, but to honestly say that you bought an "old" controller is misleading as the apex you purchased will still be functionally identical to the new unit (i.e. you bought the old one knowing it didn't have wifi,thus i assume you planned already on how to connect it via hardwire, so you will literally not miss out on a single capability by having the classic over the new one).

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my apex, been a user since before the APEX, and I think I bouth the APEX when it furst came out. I just added the DOS and DDR a few weeks ago, and so far I couldnt be happier with them as well. I thought they were overkill, but the easy of programning and being able to see how much I have left in each dosing container is really priceless compared to guess how much, and checking my containers or having air get stuck in the lines with my older dosers.

But, while I probably dont need it yet, I would like to upgrade eventually. I see the new EB is available seperatly, but will the base unit be available sepertely at some point for people who want to upgrade? I really dont need $300 in probes when I am already set up. I wouldnt mind just starting with the base unit.

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been pointed out, it's not like Neptune has pulled the plug on the Apex. Yes, you have a previous generation model that you just got (sort of like the mobile phone customer who buys a Samsung Galaxy 6, even though the Galaxy 7 has just been released). The credit Neptune is offering, is to refund customers so that the Apex they got, matches the price that previous generation Apex units will now be. In most tech arenas, progress happens so fast, devices are sometimes outdated within months of being released. Apple released the iPhone 6, and turned around a short time later and released the 6s. It would be a great disservice to aquarists, if Neptune continued to squeeze every last drop out of a dated technology platform, when new technology could open up a wider range of possibilities. I was shocked at how much of the new Apex was backward compatible with the original, given how long the original platform has been in service. Anyone can continue to use the previous generation system, with full support and compatibility, as it's been since it was first sold. New products will be released that work with the previous generation Apex moving forward. Sadly, aquarium controller technology doesn't flow like the release of new cars, where each year you can be assured a new model will be released, allowing you to plan for purchase around features of the yearly model you want. It wouldn't be feasible for Neptune to pull sales of the previous generation unit leading up to the announcement, especially since the previous generation is still fully in service.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People, this is a normal product life cycle. Your device will be replaced eventually by the updated model, rather quickly I might add in a technology industry. People don't go bashing apple for bringing out a new iphone. Usually they are more than willing to shell out money for the new version. Apple does the same thing that Neptune is doing in supporting the older iphones as long as the physical hardware on the phone can support their ios updates. Think about this before you make a big stink on here. If you have issues get with Neptune Systems and they will take care of you- they are doing more than most companies would do in this new product roll out.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol @jeremy.gosnell - beat me to it! I work product roll out for a large corporate group and I feel that Neptune has done a good job at taking care of their customers and updating their product line.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are still talking about this topic :);
1. I think Neptune should have not changed the name of the current apex to something "classic"; Just call the new one something like Apex-2 or ApexS like the Apple guys LOL......(Think about it! what would the next apex make the current and the classic apex changed their names to? classic and really classic apex?)
2. It also would be nice if Neptune offer the new apex base alone by itself so people have a chance to upgrade if they are really like the new technology without sacrificing the substantial loss of trying to sell the whole Apex classic.

As an example, let's say I had announced just two day before you bought yours - let's say three months ago - what about the guy who bought the day before that announcement? I bet he would be just as upset.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are still talking about this topic :);
1. I think Neptune should have not changed the name of the current apex to something "classic"; Just call the new one something like Apex-2 or ApexS like the Apple guys LOL......(Think about it! what would the next apex make the current and the classic apex changed their names to? classic and really classic apex?)
2. It also would be nice if Neptune offer the new apex base alone by itself so people have a chance to upgrade if they are really like the new technology without sacrificing the substantial loss of trying to sell the whole Apex classic.

They have already stated that the new apex base will be available, but they are filling orders and extras aren't available atm.

VCVet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pre-ordered the new Apex on the day it was announced (though reefsupplies.ca). Has anyone received their's yet?

Thankfully the folks at reef supplies took back the Apex Gold I had purchased a few weeks earlier as it hadn't hit the water yet while I was waiting for delivery of a new Reefer 350.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen it and a few reefers in so cali have them already

I pre-ordered the new Apex on the day it was announced (though reefsupplies.ca). Has anyone received their's yet?

Thankfully the folks at reef supplies took back the Apex Gold I had purchased a few weeks earlier as it hadn't hit the water yet while I was waiting for delivery of a new Reefer 350.

MDancyCSFA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to RAP in Orlando and bought an apex system, and was not told the new apex was coming out or I would have waited. Still in the box waiting to be set up in my new reefer 350. But wifi doesn't really matter to me at this moment. I just wish I would have known!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back