Black on blue eye tang

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue eye tang randomly started getting this black tone on his skin. I have no clue if this is just normal coloring or is this is flukes of some type. Let me know what you think

image.jpg image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spookyclemente Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spookyclemente Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:
The tang recently has just had some weird black spots on him. He hasn’t been acting different at all. I have had the fish for about 2 years but maybe the past 3 weeks I have noticed the black. I didn’t do any medication when adding him 2 years ago.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue eye tang randomly started getting this black tone on his skin. I have no clue if this is just normal coloring or is this is flukes of some type. Let me know what you think

image.jpg image.jpg
Colors changing maybe? My blue lip bristletooth tang looks different every time I look at him I feel

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang recently has just had some weird black spots on him. He hasn’t been acting different at all. I have had the fish for about 2 years but maybe the past 3 weeks I have noticed the black. I didn’t do any medication when adding him 2 years ago.

Are you talking about the discoloration around its anal opening? That isn't from flukes. Is this mostly on the right side, or is it on both? Looks more like a bruise to me....

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the discoloration around its anal opening? That isn't from flukes. Is this mostly on the right side, or is it on both? Looks more like a bruise to me....
I came to the tank this morning and the fish was dead. He is missing a ton of scales. But it doesn’t make any sense he was the biggest in the tank and there is no other aggressive fish.
I have a black and white striped Damsel but it has never gone after the tang before but he has gone after my Golbys. I have noticed a few of my fish have been Killed the past few days, but I cannot figure out by who. The fish I own our
Fox face
Blue damsel with yellowtail
Black and white striped damsel
Sail fin
GSP
Clown. Fish.
Snowflake eel

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came to the tank this morning and the fish was dead. He is missing a ton of scales. But it doesn’t make any sense he was the biggest in the tank and there is no other aggressive fish.
I have a black and white striped Damsel but it has never gone after the tang before but he has gone after my Golbys. I have noticed a few of my fish have been Killed the past few days, but I cannot figure out by who. The fish I own our
Fox face
Blue damsel with yellowtail
Black and white striped damsel
Sail fin
GSP
Clown. Fish.
Snowflake eel
If its an aggression issue my money is on the sailfin tang or the snowflake eel.

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its an aggression issue my money is on the sailfin tang or the snowflake eel.
I don’t think its the snowflake only because he is never giving me problems and I’ve had for almost 4 years. He’s a big old baby lol.
The self in and fox face I just recently bought. He would just kind of school with the tang and the fox face. I never saw him really go after the Tang. I even acclimated them to the tank in a breather box for almost a week. I haven’t seen the south and go after anyone I just don’t understand what’s going on. I really hope it’s not the self and he’s so pretty. Is this a common thing that could happen?

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on both sides. Almost the same exact pattern. He was missing almost all his scales.
Is it possible my clean up crew started to do their thing and that’s why he looks like that this morning?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think its the snowflake only because he is never giving me problems and I’ve had for almost 4 years. He’s a big old baby lol.
The self in and fox face I just recently bought. He would just kind of school with the tang and the fox face. I never saw him really go after the Tang. I even acclimated them to the tank in a breather box for almost a week. I haven’t seen the south and go after anyone I just don’t understand what’s going on. I really hope it’s not the self and he’s so pretty. Is this a common thing that could happen?
You mean the sailfin? Yeah they can be pretty aggressive. And yeah my snowflake is a sweet girl too lol some people just have ones that might go rouge!

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the sailfin? Yeah they can be pretty aggressive. And yeah my snowflake is a sweet girl too lol some people just have ones that might go rouge!
Is it possible that my clean up crew just started to…welp clean up? And that’s why he was a little scaleless

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that my clean up crew just started to…welp clean up? And that’s why he was a little scaleless
Yes for sure. Or you have an illness in the tank killing the fish and they are cleaning the body

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I too see this as bruising from injury or infection and not aggression as aggression would display certain signs. I would consider at minimum, treatment using ruby rally pro or treatment in a separate tank with seachem kanaplex and added aeration with a focus on water quality

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A bruise would be unlikely to be on both sides. Did you recently add any other fish? (that were not quarantined)? Are the rest of your fish all 'normal'? Agree that the scales are likely a result of the clean-up crew. unless you have other fish with symptoms etc - I would not necessarily treat with prazipro. If you have not quarantined you could use that protocol with prazipro.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back